Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-19-2013, 04:52 PM   #141 
B3TT45

Well my boys have adjusted beautifully to the tank! They are very active and love to look at their reflections on the side Lol
It's been one day and Mickey has gained a LOT of color. I'm surprised but he's VERY yellow now and even has some blue iridescence!

One thing that I have noticed (I think it's from my messy water change....) is that it looks like the bottom of my anarchis is dying D: how do I keep it from completely dying???
Also, I haven't gave any food to the platies yet should I feed them today (can I use my betta's pellets?) or just wait another day?
B3TT45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 04:44 PM   #142 
Bombalurina

If the bottom is dying, I would chop it off and re-plant the healthy part. It could be that there isn't enouhg fertilisation in the tank - now you have some fish in there, their poop will start acting as fertiliser. :)

I would buy a community pellet for them. :) My absolute favourite is New Life Spectrum. My fish vary from tiny to very small, so I have the Small Fish Pellet, but they also do a more general one, as well as a betta specific one. The reason I say this is that platies are more omnivorous than bettas, and need more vegetable matter in their diet than a high-quality betta pellet will provide.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 03:11 PM   #143 
B3TT45

Alright well I didn't find new life spectrum but I did find this nifty little tetramin bottle that contained three different types of food (baby shrimp, flakes, and granules) and I bought it. Gave the granules to my fish and they LOVED it!!
Old 11-24-2013, 05:02 PM   #144 
B3TT45

update: I did a 20-30% WC (lol I don't know the exact number) to clear all the stuff. Yesterday by accident I put it in WAY too much food by accident (the bottle is not a shaker :/) and I ended up with A LOT to clean up today and a lot of poop too. There was some left over but it's not like I have to take out 100% because of that mistake hopefully.
I decided to not cut the plants because it seems like the bottom parts are brown but their green branches that grew bigger seem healthy and look like it's still growing.
On another note, I REALLY need help with using a siphon. To get it going I put my mouth on it (please tell me there's another more sanitized way) and suck on it and let it go right before the water gets to my mouth (sometimes it does ) although, I have issues getting it started sometimes with that method so I would like some help.
Also, is it safe to buy another set of 2 fish to add to the tank? If so, do I need to quarantine them? How?
Old 11-24-2013, 05:51 PM   #145 
Bombalurina

That's one way to start a siphon, and it does work. Just rinse with mouthwash afterwards. The other, much less fish-mouthy way, is:

- place siphon horizontally in tank
- tilt siphon so that handle is down and sucker end is up
- lift until water flows out of the other end of the hose
- before all the water runs out of the sucker part, put it back underwater so that it suck more water in
- tilt the sucker end towards the gravel and siphon away.

Alternatively, check out a youtube tutorial - guaranteed to be clearer than my explanation. :p

It isdefinitely best to QT the new fish - in a separate tank with a different filter and heater, using none of the same equipment.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 06:48 PM   #146 
B3TT45

Today I noticed my anarchis may not be dying (I still don't know why it's brown on the bottom) it has grown A LOT and the brown parts of the plant spurted out green branches it's very odd. Also, the plant's branches tend to "move".
I may get more fish next week btw ^.^
Old 11-27-2013, 06:49 PM   #147 
B3TT45

Happy thanksgiving to all!
Old 12-02-2013, 10:35 PM   #148 
B3TT45

So today I went to check my water and was all prepped up for getting more fish. The guy told me my nitrites and nitrates wee a tad high (they were at 10, very high) and advices me against getting a new fish. I don't know why this is happening I have been on schedule for water changes but maybe it's the decaying plant matter that I have to take out. How do I lower those levels?

Also, I saw something very strange as I was feeding my fish not to long ago. I was watching them munch on the flakes when suddenly my attention goes to the fake driftwood on the bottom. I see this big piece of debris and upon closer inspection it was moving and had antennas. It was a snail! How on earth did that thing get in the tank??? I don't know anything about snail types what I can tell you the shell was shaped like a spiral cone (if this makes any sense) and it was a dark brown shell. Should I keep it or take it out??
It obviously was very young since it was tiny and as fast as it came, it disappeared and I tried so hard to get to see him again, and I couldn't find him anywhere :/
Old 12-03-2013, 09:36 AM   #149 
eden000

Sounds like a pond snail pest. I would take it out - they multiply like crazy and will only make your tank dirtier. My planted tank is currently infested :(
eden000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 08:36 PM   #150 
Kumo

I have had about 20 african dwarf frogs in a 20 gallon tank with 3 snails. Everyone did fine. We had a canister filter and a 20 gallon quietflow filter for the tank. A lot of information on dwarf frogs vary though. Some sites say anything from .5 a gallon for 1 frog to anywhere to 5 gallons per frogs (to me, the 5 gallon per 1 frog is ridiculious).

Dwarf frogs love being in large communities. they get stressed if there's only 2-4 total in the tank. I recommend having at least 5 dwarf frogs in the tank once you upgrade your size.
Kumo is offline   Reply With Quote