Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-22-2010, 11:59 PM   #1 
BettaBob

Ghost shrimp

Hey i got some ghost shrimp for my tank and put them in this morning. they seem to be doing fine but i just read that they need aquarium salt which i have not used before on this tank. Anyone know about this?
BettaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 02:53 AM   #2 
Hadouken441

They can live in anything. Literally. They dont need salt to live they need salt to breed. And breeding ghost shrimp can get pretty hard. Dont worry about adding salt your fine
Hadouken441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 11:43 AM   #3 
BettaBob

thanks!
BettaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 10:47 PM   #4 
Jupiter

Didn't know that about breeding. I have salt in my tank from time to time and the shrimp were fine while they were alive, but they were okay with regualr water too.
They'll eat anything your betta does. If your betta is hogging the food, you can always try sinking food instead. I found that my shrimp learned when feeding time was, though, so they would come up and steal my betta's food!
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 11:38 PM   #5 
doubleatheman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter View Post
Didn't know that about breeding. I have salt in my tank from time to time and the shrimp were fine while they were alive, but they were okay with regualr water too.
They'll eat anything your betta does. If your betta is hogging the food, you can always try sinking food instead. I found that my shrimp learned when feeding time was, though, so they would come up and steal my betta's food!
My shrimp are swimming upside down on the top of the tank eating now lol! (I have a shrimp only tank)

As for shrimp needing salt I don't know Somewhere on TFK I read it was bad... I think... take it with a gain of salt LOL, IM gonna look for that thread again...

One thing with shrimp DO not use Wardley bullsye or Wardley water treatment pro.... I found out that I was killing them with that. (All my shrimp would die within 72 hours) Other threads and google searches revaled that PH adjusting chemicals kill shrimp (or atleast some do) :(

I setup the tank exactly the same this time, And they are fine :) (Only 4 days old though) So we will see.
doubleatheman is offline   Reply With Quote