Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-27-2013, 07:05 PM   #1 
IanHulett

90% water change on my 10 gallon community tank?

Hi guys. Yesterday, I bought a fancy yellow guppy who's name is Lemon and I also bought a Dalmatian Molly who's name is Lady. Before I got them, I had about 10 fish fry from mostly guppies. I took a water sample to Upstate Corals on Jay Street and found out that I had an ammonia and nitrite spike. My nitrates are fine though. So, I did a 90% water change. What's the worst thing that can happen? Is 90% a little bit overboard as far as water changes go? Thanks in advance.
IanHulett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 09:08 PM   #2 
IanHulett

I probably should have named this thread "Dangers of 90% water change in a 10 gallon community tank."
IanHulett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 07:37 AM   #3 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Well it's best to avoid super large changes like that. Instead do a series of small ones like 50% and then wait an hour or two and do another one if the levels are still high. You should get the API Master Testing Kit so you can keep an eye on them yourselves so it will be easier and you'll know when to do a water change It sounds like your tank is cycling.
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 08:01 AM   #4 
jaysee
Reference Team

I ONLY do massive water changes like that - 80% every 4-6 weeks. There's no danger in doing a huge water change unless you've gone months without changing the water. The only concern is shock from a rapid pH swing, which can happen when you don't change the water for a long time.

Last edited by jaysee; 12-04-2013 at 08:06 AM.
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 08:19 AM   #5 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

+1
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 09:04 AM   #6 
Hallyx
Reference Team

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/API-Freshwater-Master-Test-Kit/dp/B000255NCI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1379756505&sr=8-1&keywords=API+freshwater]Amazon.com: API Freshwater Master Test Kit: Pet Supplies[/ame]
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 07:18 PM   #7 
Kumo

Massive water changes (50-60% most) should only be done once a month. Once a week water changes should only be done with 20-25% water changes. I buy prime, quick start, stress zyme and stress coat to help keep my ammonia and nitrite levels at zero, or close to zero.

Massive water changes can possibly send a fish into shock, so that's why "massive" changes should only be 50-60%.
Kumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 07:32 PM   #8 
jaysee
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumo View Post
Massive water changes (50-60% most) should only be done once a month. Once a week water changes should only be done with 20-25% water changes.

I buy prime, quick start, stress zyme and stress coat to help keep my ammonia and nitrite levels at zero, or close to zero.

Massive water changes can possibly send a fish into shock, so that's why "massive" changes should only be 50-60%.
Why should the water changes be as such, as opposed to the countless other ways to do them?

You should not need to add quick start or stress zyme to keep your ammonia and nitrite levels at 0. That's what the bacteria colonies do.

As I said, the only way there would be shock is if the parameters, particularly pH, were very different, which can happen if water changes are never done. Assuming a regular water change schedule, massive water changes are absolutely harmless. In my experience "regular" is at least once every 4-6 weeks.
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 08:52 PM   #9 
rickey
Banned

I don't go along with any of this.
There is nothing wrong with 80 to 90% changes as long as the pH is stable
Like wise I don't go along with a 6 week time frame either
But big water changes do mean a more stable water over the long run.
I do a daily small (20%) water changes because my stocking levels are high and they're automated but this allows me to hold the tanks at 20 ppm nitrate.

R
rickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 09:48 PM   #10 
Tolak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumo View Post
Massive water changes (50-60% most) should only be done once a month. Once a week water changes should only be done with 20-25% water changes. I buy prime, quick start, stress zyme and stress coat to help keep my ammonia and nitrite levels at zero, or close to zero.

Look into keeping & breeding discus, many breeders do large water changes daily. Something is wrong if you need to turn a water change into chemical soup, a good water conditioner such as Prime should be all you need in a cycled tank.
Tolak is online now   Reply With Quote