Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-24-2010, 10:40 AM   #1 
WuGolfer07
Banned

Question Filter causing water to fog!?

Up until this past Monday I've never used filtration for bettas bc I had been told by petco it was bad for em. I never had a problem with really foggy water. Well not even 2 days after started using the filter, the water is really really foggy. Which I'm guesing is bad news for
my guy? :(.... The water was conditioned properly and everything. Now it's super foggy (noticed this morning) and I won't be able to change the water until tonight. :( any ideas what causes this! Keep in mind. Same habitat. Same fish, same everything.
WuGolfer07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 11:25 AM   #2 
1fish2fish

What water conditioner are you using? I know some will cause foggy water. There's nothing in a filter that should cause your water to fog I don't think.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 12:00 PM   #3 
WuGolfer07
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fish2fish View Post
What water conditioner are you using? I know some will cause foggy water. There's nothing in a filter that should cause your water to fog I don't think.
Will this fog kill my guy? I can't change the water until tonight. I'm at work. It's some conditioner by top fin I think. Blue and white bottle. It's good for amonia, etc. I did use more than the bottle says bc I was told to. Will to much cause this? I've always used the same brand and have never had foggy problems.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:45 PM   #4 
1fish2fish

I hate the top fin conditioner.. it always seems to cloud my tanks... but since you say it didn't do that before it must be something else.

I don't think the cloudiness will hurt your fish... just wait a few days to see if it dissipates.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 01:12 PM   #5 
WuGolfer07
Banned

Hmm well I am taking the filter out and doing a 100% water change and see what happens without that filter. I just hope the fog doesn't make him sick :(
Old 03-24-2010, 03:22 PM   #6 
kelly528

Okay first of all can you give us an ammonia reading? Ammonia will make the water cloudy.

Also, are you sure it isn't just the filter current stirring up fine particulates? Try some water changes and see if that helps.
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 04:13 PM   #7 
WuGolfer07
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly528 View Post
Okay first of all can you give us an ammonia reading? Ammonia will make the water cloudy.

Also, are you sure it isn't just the filter current stirring up fine particulates? Try some water changes and see if that helps.
Well I had my water tested at a pet store and I was told amonia lvl was just fine. I was told all levels where just fine. I most likely used to much conditioner. Btw, clear water can contain high lvls of amonia :)
I am removing the filter and doing a 100% water change to see what happens
Old 03-24-2010, 04:21 PM   #8 
vaygirl

You should get your own test kit. The API master kit is a good one. It's so much easier to test the water yourself when you're having a problem then taking water to the store. It's a huge help when you're trying to figure out what's going on with your fish. Plus you get to feel like a mad chemist.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 04:28 PM   #9 
cloudgodd

Quote:
Originally Posted by WuGolfer07 View Post
Well I had my water tested at a pet store and I was told amonia lvl was just fine. I was told all levels where just fine.
Never or rarly trust what a pet store tells you, you should get your own test kits.

Quote:
I most likely used to much conditioner. Btw, clear water can contain high lvls of amonia :)
sounds odd that water conditioner would cause cloudy water, did you follow the directions? also I recommend seachems PRIME.

Quote:
I am removing the filter and doing a 100% water change to see what happens
this may cause you some problems keep an eye on your ammonia and nitrites, as you are loosing all the bacteria need to keep both of those under-control...

my guess is you didn't rinse either the carbon you put in or if your using any kind of bio chem (like bio-chips, or a powder for nitrates) those not rinsed can cause fog.

also if your water is going through its cycle a bacteria bloom can cause a fog...if that is the case I recommend defiantly using PRIME as it will change nh3 to nh4 ( a non toxic form of ammonia)

and last but not least if your feeding to much food, like a pellet when they break apart can also cause your water to be cloudy for a bit.
cloudgodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 06:07 PM   #10 
kelly528

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudgodd View Post
Never or rarly trust what a pet store tells you, you should get your own test kits.
Yeah too bad the wasted your time but considering what else they consider to be okay, 'fine' does not tell you too much! If they tested the water in their betta cups they would consider that fine as well!
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote