Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-23-2010, 10:18 PM   #1 
SecondmateFlint

Lost connection with my betta

I fear I've lost my closeness with my betta! He was in a one gallon tank and I'd watch him all the time and he spent a lot of the time looking back at me. I put him in a five gallon tank and we still were close, but he was always pacing back and forth against the glass.

I got two cory catfish and he gets along pretty well with them, only problem is that he mooches their food. I even have to...tap the glassto get him to let them eat.

I just miss how close we both were. I'm not sure what to do. I think I need to spend more time watching the tank.
SecondmateFlint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 10:37 PM   #2 
Jupiter

First off, five gallons is really too small for 2 cories and a betta. Cories need to be in gorups of at least 3 or 4, so you'd need a 10 gallon tank for that.

With a five gallon, he has more room to swim around in, so he's probably just exercising. If you stay around the tank like you suggested, he'll come back to you eventually. All of my boys always come up front ot greet me when they see me, so I'm sure he will soon do the same.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 10:45 PM   #3 
SecondmateFlint

Even with a weekly water change? I'm sure I have a ten gallon at home, unfortunately I live in a dorm, and do not really have room for a large tank. But I will look into a bigger tank, and a cory or two. They're peppered cories, slightly smaller?

I hope he will :) He definitely notices me when I come to feed him!
Old 03-23-2010, 11:46 PM   #4 
reaperss06

Mine watches me, they seem to be interested in you faster when you put them in the 5 gallon for the first time. At least mine did it with the 2 gallon. I think he watches me a little bit when I sleep too, noticed him staring at me one night, it was kinda creepy lol. Now he greets me in the morning and stares at me when I sit at my computer, so I agree I'm sure your guy will come around.
reaperss06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 05:21 PM   #5 
SecondmateFlint

Yeah that would be very creepy, especially since their eyes glow when the light is right. He's actually been in there since January. I bet you're right though. I'm just happy he seems to be happy, even if he doesn't really pay that much attention to me. Thanks everyone!
Old 03-24-2010, 06:09 PM   #6 
Mean Harri

I have a feeling he misses how close you guys used to be too.
Mean Harri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 10:56 PM   #7 
SecondmateFlint

I hope so. He has become very greedy lately. Always eating the catfish's food. Quick question, sinking shrimp pellets for catfish should not hurt him right?