Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-09-2013, 11:32 AM   #401 
FishyFishy89

How much salt is a little? Have you tested your well water to see what is in it and what levels they are?
Are you sure the water from the hose is going direct to the tank? He could be filling buckets/setting them aside to naturally remove the chemicals and then adding it to the tank.
FishyFishy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 03:36 PM   #402 
platylover13

We'll we haven't tested it but I do know there is a little bit of salt in it (our driller said so, and I think he tested it), plus you can taste the salt if you drink from the tap
platylover13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 04:53 PM   #403 
FishyFishy89

If you can taste it, then I wouldn't use it.
Old 10-09-2013, 05:24 PM   #404 
platylover13

That's what I figured. My mom actually told me today when I was asking about it that our salinity isn't high, and I tasted the water and couldn't taste it. It must have been our old hole that had salt
Old 10-10-2013, 02:16 PM   #405 
platylover13

So is it safe to use or not?
Old 10-10-2013, 03:28 PM   #406 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by platylover13 View Post
So is it safe to use or not?
I would get your current well in use tested/see what your water currently has and go from there.
Old 10-10-2013, 03:39 PM   #407 
platylover13

kk, if not safe I will use the water I have used before, it's naturally filtered and we drink it so I think it's safe.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:12 PM   #408 
scootshoot

Thank you OFL for taking the time to create this thread!

Am going to try my very first NPT following these directions. Will use the recently ordered 6.6 gallon Truaqua setup (minus the undergravel filter of course). Since I have 2 betta tanks already, gonna use this primarily as a plant and red cherry shrimp breeder tank.
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 08:28 PM   #409 
Tree

So I have a question. I have gravel in my 3 gallon and 2.6 gallons that are normal size, not the small gravel like you mentioned on the info. Would that be ok for beginner plants like Anubias, Hornwort and Mondo grass plants? Also I wont need to add any co2 to the tanks at all right? I read that snails and ghost shrip will help with that?
Tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 10:46 AM   #410 
Oldfishlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree View Post
So I have a question. I have gravel in my 3 gallon and 2.6 gallons that are normal size, not the small gravel like you mentioned on the info. Would that be ok for beginner plants like Anubias, Hornwort and Mondo grass plants? Also I wont need to add any co2 to the tanks at all right? I read that snails and ghost shrip will help with that?
Since all the plants you have either need to be tied to something (Anubias) or used floating (Hornwort) or not used at all since it not aquatic (Mondo grass)...your gravel should be fine. For a soil based tank small diameter gravel is best or sand.

IMO you don't need to inject CO2-especially for those plants anyway....

In your soil based systems-the natural break down or decomp will produce enough CO2 naturally for most plants-This does vary however, it depends on plant species, lights, photoperiod, stocking, soil type/amount, water changes/vacuuming....etc......With your natural planted systems once mature and thriving-are as close to a natural ecosystem that can be created in a closed system...this too can vary from system to system based on a lot of different reason.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote