Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-23-2010, 11:10 AM   #31 
tanker

If they don't get selected, they could be there indefinitely (or until they die from their conditions). If they start looking poor because of the conditions then they are less likely to be selected. I find it sad.
tanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 11:12 AM   #32 
1fish2fish

The petsmart I got demetri from (where almost all the other fish were almost dead/dieing) made a 180 and has started putting bettas in a few of the tanks and the water looked really clean and the fish looked nice... matter of fact thats the petsmart I just got my new guy from. The other fish looked healthier too.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 11:12 AM   #33 
ScuitoAmi150

One of my mom's friends might be working at Petco as the manager so I'm going to tell him how disgusting the betta cups are so MAYBE he can at least make the people in the fish department clean those cups.
ScuitoAmi150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 03:19 PM   #34 
cyndi

the petsmart near me feeds em once a week, normally when the new ones come in. they do a water change at that time too. i find the cup practice to be very cruel and cringe when i over hear people talkin about how small the tanks or bowls they are gonna keep the fish in are.

the care guides are approved by vets and often written by vets. the info is normally outdated and useless. they need to overhaul all of their careguides, but corporate america will take their time and probably not do it any time soon. so, millions of people will recieve misinformtion because the 'experts' told them this or that was what the needed to do.

Last edited by cyndi; 03-23-2010 at 03:23 PM.
cyndi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 05:05 PM   #35 
Betta Fish Bob
Banned

I recently saw a youtube video with a cool betta fish, so I messaged the owner, and we chatted.

She says it is illegal in Sweden to house bettas in cups or jars! She was blown away when I told her how they are treated in pet stores here in the U.S.

I am glad that at least some countries care about the welfare of their pets.
Betta Fish Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 09:41 PM   #36 
tanker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betta Fish Bob View Post
She was blown away when I told her how they are treated in pet stores here in the U.S.
And here in Australia as well. I'd like to see a minimum size imposed (bigger than a small jar). Just because you can keep bettas in tiny containers doesn't mean you should. They should get enough room to move around properly, at least.

When I heard that they had regulations in Sweden, I made a phone call to the RSPCA to tell them that I'd support regulations being introduced here. They don't cover fish. Then I rang the Fisheries Department, but they didn't cover it and gave me another number, but that number only deals with illegal fishing, not fish welfare issues. There doesn't seem to be any department that deals with fish welfare. So then I rang the Minister for Fisheries' office and said that they need to sort out some department to oversee fish welfare issues.
tanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 11:45 PM   #37 
Jupiter

The Petsmarts here seem to be okay about keeping the water clean. They have the blue medication (which is just laziness imo) in all the cups, but they're generally pretty clean.

Didn't know that about Sweden though! My aunt just moved there, actually. I should tell her to go take a look and tell me how it is. :P
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 12:45 AM   #38 
doubleatheman

The local store here, before it went out of business (thats what happen when petco gets built 2 doors down :(, but that happens to growing towns)

They kept each Betta in a clear view thing that would hang inside of the tanks of their other fish, and the Betta would get fresh water from the tank. Yeah the size of space they had to swim in was about the same as the cups, they had all the circulating water from the 25gallon tank they were in.

I think the devices they were using were originally developed to keep fry in.
doubleatheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 11:16 AM   #39 
1fish2fish

The methalyne blue is actually a good thing.. it helps keep the fish calm and prevents disease.. with all the people that come in and out and pic the fish up and turn them around etc, etc, I would want something in the cups to keep the fish calm.

The MB doesn't keep the water any cleaner its just to help the fish.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 10:50 PM   #40 
Maryrox247

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenityroyal View Post
The petsmart I live by sometimes puts their bettas in the tanks with the other fish, and if they have to stay in those cups, they change they water. Though the keep them in this odd blue colored water. I don't know if that actually helps the fish or not.
My local petsmart has blue water too and when i asked them why it was blue they said it was fortified with vitamins and nutrients? Anyway i mainly shop at Theresa's Country Pet. They have their bettas in cups but they take decent caqre of them. The cups have a good amount of water in them and some males even got little bubblenests going! The only thing i dont like is that they dont really have females unless you ask them to order some. I did find one dead one the other day and when i showed the ladey she was like "oh" and she took the cup and took it to the back. Thats the only time i got upset. They really do know what they are talking about. ( Except the guy said i could have 28 females in my 20 gallon..)
Maryrox247 is offline   Reply With Quote