Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-30-2013, 10:47 PM   #1 
carlos puron

what could be the best quality food for a betta

Hi well I've been feeding my boys with Tetra betta pellets everyday and dried bloodworms once a week one of my boys doesn't like the worms so he only gets pellets but the question here is is it enough? I know there's better food out there specially live food but I haven't been able to find live food around here so talking about petsmart and petco what could be the best quality food I can get for them locally?

Thanks for reading :)
carlos puron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 11:04 PM   #2 
Mo

New Life Spectrum Betta Pellets or Omega One Betta Pellets
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 11:05 PM   #3 
sainthogan

The best food is generally a high quality pellet, but even high quality flakes will suffice. And by high quality, I mean mostly fish protein sources (no soy, beef, or plant based proteins) and little to no filler (wheat, soy, corn, barley, yeast, etc.) Betta fish are primarily carnivorous, so the fillers are really just crap for them. So when you are looking for a new food, look for one that is at least 80% protein sources (again, no soy, beef, chicken, etc.), the higher the better.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 12:53 AM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

What Mo said.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 04:17 AM   #5 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Good advice from sainthogan.

Don't confuse mostly (80%) protein sources with percentage of protein content. Anything >38% is high enough for Betta, IF the protein sources are fishy, as SH points out.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 07:55 AM   #6 
jaysee
Reference Team

All processed fish food has filler (binders) in it - that's what keeps the food together. Some companies try to hide the true amount of filler in their food by breaking it up and listing the different parts separately. This allows them to sprinkle in the fillers, making the food look better than it is. Wheat should only be listed one time, and should not be one of the top 2-3 ingredients. It is often around the 4th ingredient, which is fine as long as there are no other wheat products. If it's listed 4th and then there is wheat germ listed 5th, then really wheat might be the 2nd or 3rd most abundant.

The percentage of protein is ONLY as good as the protein source. Like was mentioned, you NEVER want to see animal products in your fish food - only seafood as your proteins. And it's important to see quality plant matter in the food. While bettas are carnivores, they still require usable plant matter in their diet.

Last edited by jaysee; 12-01-2013 at 07:58 AM.
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 08:31 AM   #7 
rickey
Banned

I'm going to post link to a really long article in my journal (Ravings of a mad man)
Aquaculture development and coordination programme. Fish feed technology. Lectures presented at the FAO/UNDP Training Course in Fish Feed Technology, Seattle, Washington

This ain't lite reading.

R
rickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 03:09 PM   #8 
carlos puron

so basically high protein food is what they need?
carlos puron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 03:30 PM   #9 
rickey
Banned

In nature, carnivorous fish consume diets which are about 50 percent protein. Fish have a very efficient system for excretion of waste nitrogen from protein which is catabolized for energy and therefore high protein diets are not harmful.

R
rickey is offline   Reply With Quote