Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Memorials
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-30-2013, 10:21 AM   #1 
Bikeridinguckgirl14

Unhappy Tail biting and fin rot conquered, stress was just too much

Ok so dippy (the tail biter who I finally got to stop tail biting after 4 months of serious stress, got fin rot because of it but managed to cure that too) well he was fine for another month until he had to take a 5 hour car ride home with me. He didn't like that. So we arrive to my parents house and I put him in a nearly identical tank, and he eats and swims so I'm happy. The next day he only eats one pellet and one blood worm. The next day he doesn't eat. Next day I notice his water smells weird, I do a 50% water change and change his plant and he eats one bloodworm. Next day his water SMELLS and he has a slight fin rot so I go out and buy new water conditioner (was using a different kind than usual cuz I was just using my moms) get a big 2 gal fishbowl put in fresh clean 78degree water with new conditioner and AQsalt and a little tetrafin, move him into that. He stops breathing. He resumes breathing. He swims around. He refuses to eat the bloodworm but keeps swimming and even blows a bubble. By this point (3-4 hours after going into the bowl) my nerves are through the roof. He is swimming but not eating. I go to bed. This morning I woke up and went downstairs to no fish. Mom didn't want me to see the dead body. Ryuuji's fins were almost perfect again, the new fins had a blue teal color. As much of a HUGE PAIN IN THE BUTT as he was, I kinda miss him. Yeah I could have not taken him on the car ride, but then he would have been left alone in my dorm for 8 days, and I would have had to take him on the ride eventually because in another 2 weeks I have a month long Xmas break. The only thing I could possibly have done is taken down my water conditioner instead of using my moms, but I didn't think that would really be a big deal. I guess I'm a bad fish mommy. In one year one passed of sbd and one passed of stress. Hell it wasn't even a year it was 9 months. Anyways I'm taking a break from betta for a while, and next time I do get one it won't be because I want one or because I think I'm ready, it will be because I've been ready for a while and accidentally fall head over heels in love. Bye bye for now peoples. Thanks for all the advice and for letting me vent.
Bikeridinguckgirl14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 12:17 PM   #2 
tiinykat

I'm so sorry. ]:

If it's any conciliation, I kind of know how you feel. My first Betta passed away last week. He was bloated, so I followed advice to fast him and he recovered. I was SO happy. Then I gravel vacuumed, and unfortunately he got sucked up and died about ten minutes later. I decided that I would try another Betta, so I purchased a beautiful Dragonscale King Betta named Tuna. Yesterday morning I found him on the carpet. Despite having a lid, he was a very frisky and strong fish. He got through the little hole up top where I drop food in.

I know some people think that they're just silly cheap fish people buy for kids who want a puppy. But that's so, so not the case. I hope you feel better and remember you did all you could!
tiinykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 02:18 PM   #3 
Bikeridinguckgirl14

I think it's the fact that I worked so hard to get him healthy then he pretty much just died without physical illness. (I consider stress a mental issue in this case)
I might get a new one next semester or maybe in 4-5 months.

Also jumpers are impossible to please, if you get another jumper try putting a hoop/ring in the tank. Dippy liked swimming through one of my plastic bracelets. I don't use gravel vacuums cuz I don't use gravel, just big plastic stones
Old 11-30-2013, 11:15 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm so sorry for your loss. What made your water smell?
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 10:11 PM   #5 
Bikeridinguckgirl14

I genuinely don't know. I think it was a combo of the heater, moms water conditioner, and maybe the smell of him dying? Do betta smell when they stress out? I don't have a clue honestly but it's a smell I won't forget