Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-01-2013, 09:12 AM   #1 
flowerprince

Unhappy Heater that fits?

So a while ago I bought a fluval chi when my betta died, and I got a nee betta. Along with the tank I bought a cover, but the cover doesnt fit over my heater. Well..... last night I went on a sleepover, but I came home this morning with the news that my parents found my darling, darling betta on the floor..... he was doing so well, and he was the most beautiful pale colored betta I have ever seen....

Does anyone have any experience with fluval chis? I know now that theyre realy not the most practical tanks, but it was expensive so I probably won't be replacing it any time soon. The cover you can buy for it only fits over the filter in the middle, and every heater I find seems to be above water (which isnt a problem normally! but with the cover theres literally no heater that can fit, i honestly dont know WHAT fluval was thinking with this tank; 5 gallons of unheated water?)

I've been looking but the only totally submersible heater I can find is that tiny marina "betta" heater made for their .5 gallon prisons

Would it be better to see if I could find a heater to fit the tank, or should I just cut around the heater I have?
flowerprince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 09:27 AM   #2 
Laki

I don't know the Fluval Chi but I know some people here on thr forum use them. I also don't understand, are you trying to find a submersible heater? Because they're easier to find than non-submersible: PetSmart, Walmart, Target etc.

Sorry to hear about your fish :(
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 09:38 AM   #3 
flowerprince

I have a submersible, but theres still a part that sticks out of the water & prevents the cover from going all the way down on one side :'( I'll take a look though, and thank you :''((
Old 12-01-2013, 11:23 AM   #4 
finsNhooves

I have one i got from petco. I cant remeber the brand but it is supposed to be for betta bowls so it is a circle but what it does is keeps the water 5-10 degrees warmer than it already was. I have it in my 4 gallon and it keeps it at 78 all the time. And it is fully submersible so you could even put it under the gravel if you wanted.
finsNhooves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 11:36 AM   #5 
flowerprince

That sounds amazing!! Do you know what its called?
Old 12-01-2013, 11:38 AM   #6 
Laki

The circle one is the ZooMed betta therm heater. It's 7.5 watts. I had one but it burned out after less than a year. The 7 and 10 wall pre-set submersibles are goof for temporary and hospital tank use but they burn out so quickly. I tried the betta therm, Tetra and Aqueon. The Aqueon actually has been going strong for just about 2 years now (I got it in January 2012)

Is it the wire you're talking about popping the top off the tank? Is there a way you can drill a small indent to fit the cord through?
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 12:11 PM   #7 
Tolak

I don't see why any 25w submersable wouldn't fit in there at an angle.
Posted via Mobile Device
Tolak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 10:40 PM   #8 
finsNhooves

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowerprince View Post
That sounds amazing!! Do you know what its called?
No sorry :( i looked on petco's website but it wasnt listed. It might have been zoomed but i remember looking for the brand when i bought it but it wasnt anywhere highly visible on the package. Plus, i didnt look that hard. Im sorry, i wish i could help you
finsNhooves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 06:40 AM   #9 
Hallyx
Reference Team

For a 5g tank you really want at least a 25W adjustable heater.

I've been using these continuously for 3 years now. Still working fine. They're pretty small (6.5 in.) too, and fully submersible. [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Elite-Submersible-Preset-Heater-25-Watt/dp/B00106X8QG/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1385984321&sr=8-4&keywords=Hagen+mini+elite+heater"]Amazon.com: Elite Submersible Preset Heater Mini, 25-Watt: Pet Supplies[/ame]

Petco has the Aqueoen 50W. It's bigger but should still fit in your tank.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover, flowerprince, fluval chi, heater, jumped out