Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-30-2013, 08:06 PM   #11 
kyle89

plants and lots of them. sororitys should be heavly planted for plenty of hiding spots
kyle89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 09:24 PM   #12 
LittleBettaFish

In a sorority at any level of the tank, it should be difficult if not impossible to see from one side of the tank to the other.

Plants whether live or fake are the best at providing cover. I wouldn't bother with purchasing more ornaments such as caves. You want to hinder chasing as much as possible, and in thick plant cover it is very difficult to move fast.

You also want to be checking your water parameters daily if you just went and added a number of females to your tank. A sorority (particularly a newly established sorority where there are higher levels of aggression) is a much more stressful environment for a betta than solitary life. Stressed fish are more prone to infection by disease, and poor water conditions are only going to add to that stress. There are a number of threads on this board where whole sororities have been wiped out by diseases such as columnaris.

Finally, it would have been best for you to quarantine your new females for a minimum of 2-4 weeks. Even visibly healthy fish can be harbouring nasty pathogens and a lack of proper quarantine procedure can cause all sorts of problems in existing stock.

However, since you've already added them in together, I would just advise that you keep a close eye on them to make sure everyone remains healthy.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 04:47 PM   #13 
JennaLee

Thanks for all the help guys!

I went out and bought another tall plant yesterday, and it seems to have helped quite a bit. The aggression has toned down a lot, and although there is still the occassional flaring match I haven't seen any nipping or chasing since yesterday.

I'm still treating the water with Melafix to prevent infection as two of the bettas (Storme and Thorn) have nips out of their fins. I nearly considered removing them because they just wouldn't quit fighting eachother, but luckily things have settled down and are looking pretty peaceful at the moment. No other bettas seemed to be particularly targeted by aggression, but I'm going to be monitoring the situation very closely for the next few weeks.

Besides a few torn fins all of the bettas seem happy and healthy, they are eating normally and their colouring is already improving. I'll keep you all updated and let you know if anything takes a turn for the worse, your advice is always welcome! :)
Sophie and Luna: http://www.bettafish.com/attachment....1&d=1386024346
Attached Images

JennaLee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
female betta, sorority, tank