Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-30-2013, 03:03 PM   #1 
Rana

Male or Female?

My young crowntail Claire was sold as a female, but I'm starting to wonder about that... There was a "female" sibling when I bought her that I'm sure was actually male, so now of course I'm second-guessing myself every few minutes. And unlike my other fish her body is too opaque to see through to check for ovaries, but in January I'm setting up a sorority after I move, so I don't want to take the chance that she'll turn out to be a boy after all.

Claire's in a divided tank with Viola- a betta I know for a fact is female- and since putting them together Viola has released eggs three times and started building bubblenests, which is new behavior. She's done this three times in the three weeks they've been together, while she never did when she shared her tank with another female earlier, making me wonder if it's not a coincidence.

Pic was taken yesterday. Help?
Attached Images

Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 03:07 PM   #2 
tiinykat

I'm 99% sure that's a female. See that white bump on the underside of her body? It's an "egg thingie."
tiinykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 03:35 PM   #3 
Rana

Males can also have an ovipositor (egg spot), my boy Jude had one and he was definitely a male, so it's not a reliable way to sex bettas. But I appreciate your opinion since I really could go either way with this one! :3
Old 11-30-2013, 06:03 PM   #4 
jsgossamer

Hold a mirror in front of him.
jsgossamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 06:09 PM   #5 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

No, males cannot have an ovipositor. The ovipositor is part of the female reproductive system and males never have one. They can, however, have a "false ovipositor", which looks like an ovipositor but is really not.

It's hard to tell if the fish is male or female... I think I can see the shape of ovaries, but I'm not too sure... I'm leaning towards female though.
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 06:21 PM   #6 
Rana

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsgossamer View Post
All of my bettas flare when they see a mirror, including this one. Her flared-gills seem larger than my definitely-female's, but not as big as most male beards I have seen pictures of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsBettas View Post
No, males cannot have an ovipositor. The ovipositor is part of the female reproductive system and males never have one. They can, however, have a "false ovipositor", which looks like an ovipositor but is really not.

It's hard to tell if the fish is male or female... I think I can see the shape of ovaries, but I'm not too sure... I'm leaning towards female though.
Ah, I knew they could have an eggspot to trick other males, so I just assumed it was a 'real' as a female's; my mistake. I can't tell if there are ovaries or not either, and of course she refuses to let herself be cupped so I can do a flashlight check again. Would more photo angles help? She's awfully energetic so it's hard to get her to hold still but I bet I could get a few decent pics.
Old 11-30-2013, 11:08 PM   #7 
sainthogan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsgossamer View Post

As the OP said in a later post, females flare too. In fact, my female flares all the time, while my male has flared only once or twice. Normally, he just runs and hides from his reflection, or plays dead (absolutely still, barely perceptible movement, just enough to keep him from drifting).
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 02:20 AM   #8 
Aryia

I'd say she's a female. A CT male's rays would look much different in my opinion, unless he's a sun tail plakat but the chances of that are really slim and she doesn't seem to have plakat proportions. I have several CT females that look just like her.

If you want to be 100% sure, I guess you could house her with a divider next to a male and see if she develops eggs? Though I'm pretty sure you can tell if she is a male once you release her in the community and take "him" out before any damage is done. With several females around, a single male might not even do any damage. I've seen a plakat keeper who has a community tank of females and males together and not too many nipped fins o.o
Aryia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 05:13 PM   #9 
Rana

I was able to finally get a light to shine through her abdomen, and I saw ovaries! So she is definitely a girl, which is a big relief.

Thanks for everyone's help!
Old 12-02-2013, 05:25 PM   #10 
Kithy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiinykat View Post
I'm 99% sure that's a female. See that white bump on the underside of her body? It's an "egg thingie."
Such a technical term xD Egg Thingie. Made me laugh :D
Kithy is online now   Reply With Quote