Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-01-2013, 07:49 PM   #411 
Tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Since all the plants you have either need to be tied to something (Anubias) or used floating (Hornwort) or not used at all since it not aquatic (Mondo grass)...your gravel should be fine. For a soil based tank small diameter gravel is best or sand.

IMO you don't need to inject CO2-especially for those plants anyway....

In your soil based systems-the natural break down or decomp will produce enough CO2 naturally for most plants-This does vary however, it depends on plant species, lights, photoperiod, stocking, soil type/amount, water changes/vacuuming....etc......With your natural planted systems once mature and thriving-are as close to a natural ecosystem that can be created in a closed system...this too can vary from system to system based on a lot of different reason.....

thanks so much! I am glad I found this site! I learn so much from all of you. <3
Tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 10:03 AM   #412 
Oldfishlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree View Post
thanks so much! I am glad I found this site! I learn so much from all of you. <3
Your welcome and did you know...way back when...a long, long time ago....."Tree" was my nickname.....every time I see your username...it brings back fond memory of my youth.....lol....I can't share on an open forum-especially with the younger members- how I got that nickname...but it is a pretty funny story to say the least....laffs....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 07:24 PM   #413 
Tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Your welcome and did you know...way back when...a long, long time ago....."Tree" was my nickname.....every time I see your username...it brings back fond memory of my youth.....lol....I can't share on an open forum-especially with the younger members- how I got that nickname...but it is a pretty funny story to say the least....laffs....

Oh my god! that is awesome! XD My story is a simple one. I got the nickname from my sisters. Theresa is my real name. "Tree"sa. XD you will have to note me the story. I would love to hear it. ;)
Tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 07:04 AM   #414 
sponge1234

Hi OFL! I have learned so much from you! But I still have a few questions. I have my 20 gallon tall set up with lots of plants that I got from peachii, and last weekend the cat jumped on the light hood and it fell on the tank and doesn't work any more. I took it apart and dried it and put it back together and it still didn't work. So my dad and I are going to home depot later to get a shop light for the tank. I want one that will have 2 daylight 6500k tube bulbs. Will this work? I also want to get some cambomba from my LFS, will I have enough lighting for the combomba?

P.S. I have had two lamps on the tank for the plants. The plants are not showing any signs of dieing.
sponge1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 12:45 PM   #415 
Trippshep

Question, I want to start a planted tank. Would I be able to get plants that have grown in a creek? ATM I don't think any are growing but in the spring time they should.
Trippshep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 01:22 PM   #416 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trippshep View Post
Question, I want to start a planted tank. Would I be able to get plants that have grown in a creek? ATM I don't think any are growing but in the spring time they should.
I know many fish owners who've harvested from local water bodies. Just be sure they aren't infected. I believe some people have done a bleach/water solution dip to get them disease free. Just keep them in another tank of double declorinated water to be sure they're bleach free.
Note some plants may not handle a bleach dip and may melt away.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
FishyFishy89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 02:16 PM   #417 
Nothingness

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponge1234 View Post
Hi OFL! I have learned so much from you! But I still have a few questions. I have my 20 gallon tall set up with lots of plants that I got from peachii, and last weekend the cat jumped on the light hood and it fell on the tank and doesn't work any more. I took it apart and dried it and put it back together and it still didn't work. So my dad and I are going to home depot later to get a shop light for the tank. I want one that will have 2 daylight 6500k tube bulbs. Will this work? I also want to get some cambomba from my LFS, will I have enough lighting for the combomba?

P.S. I have had two lamps on the tank for the plants. The plants are not showing any signs of dieing.

This is what I did. I have the diamaond plate shop light 48' from home depot and was using 6500k daylight bulbs until I recently switched them up
Nothingness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 02:33 PM   #418 
sponge1234

Nothingness, what did you switch to? And what were your results on the plants?
sponge1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 04:42 AM   #419 
CochinBrahmaLover

So I have an 18gal, and am looking into starting a NPT. So for the first month or 3 months your leave in the filter? Or do you just start off with no filter?
2) How many plants should I get of each? Like, a ratio perhaps? A 1:3 ratio for floating plants to stem plants, or something like that? When I head to petco Ill see what they've got.
3) What type of shrimp, and can you add them immediately? Would bamboo shrimp be ok, or should I stick to ghost shrimp?
4) This should be the last one. What type of monitoring do you do? Do you do nitrate, nitrite, and ammonia levels, or do you just leave it alone?
5) ok I lied. How do you know when there's enough plants?
6) and last but not least, how do you 'trim' a plant? Just cut off excess leaves? If you let it grow long enough, can you trim it and plant the trimmings? Or does that require flowering and such to get new plants?

Thanks! I'm still debating on a betta sorotiy or just get a new male. Decisions decisions..
CochinBrahmaLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 08:37 AM   #420 
FishyFishy89

I believe OFL told me it should be 70% plant coverage on the floor and 10 or 20% floating plants.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
FishyFishy89 is online now   Reply With Quote