Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-01-2013, 01:49 PM   #1 
alwaysaBettaLover

bett turning dull-colored????

Recently, my betta has torn up his fins, and bumped a few scales half off, but I have noticed that his fins which are red, have turned to a dull, really weak color. Does anyone know how to enhance his color??
Thanks

Also I can't post pics because I am having trouble posting (and taking) any pictures :/
alwaysaBettaLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 08:13 PM   #2 
kittenfish

Colors dull when the betta is stressed. One of my bettas gets very pale whenever I have to put him in a cup temporarily. What caused the torn fins and damaged scales? They are probably related.
kittenfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 09:11 PM   #3 
alwaysaBettaLover

Well, I haven't changed his tank in a while, so he wasn't used to it and I had to chase him around the tank - he put up quite a fight- all the while scratching and tearing his fins I'm sure that was the cause, but in the long run how can I make his colors even brighter??
Old 12-01-2013, 09:34 PM   #4 
kittenfish

Well you could try color enhacing betta foods - I've seen some specifically for enhancing reds - but I think the biggest contributor to vibrant coloration is the health of the fish, so clean, heated water. I've also read that live or frozen brine shrimp bring out colors.
Old 12-02-2013, 05:34 AM   #5 
Hallyx
Reference Team

A good-quality high-protein pellet, like New Life Spectrum Betta or Omega One Betta Buffet, is the best way to bring out color. It's also the best way to heal fins. That and clean warm water. Changed often.

Don't chase you fish ! That's stressful for both of you. Carefully, slowly, work him into the cup. Patience and a calm attitude and maybe a little food in the cup. You'll learn how to do it.

Still, it's best to avoid removing your fish if you can avoid it. With a large enough tank (minimum 2.5g) you can cycle the tank and never have to remove him.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 08:04 PM   #6 
alwaysaBettaLover

Ok! I heard of this betta food, I think it's a Japanese brand food but I heard that it can enhance color(one of the types of pellets they make anyway) it's like H something, and I can never find it in stores. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Hallyx: I have always chased my fish around the tank to change their tank, but I think I will try to be more gentle with them :)

Also is there any way to help him heal his scratches more quickly? He has already lost a scale or two and his fins aren't looking any better either. Except his color is returning. I never knew he was SO stressed, Especially with how long it is taking for just the color to return :/

Last edited by alwaysaBettaLover; 12-02-2013 at 08:07 PM.
Old 12-02-2013, 08:28 PM   #7 
sainthogan

Hallyx meant that you can change the water in your tank without removing your fish. You can siphon out the amount of water you want to change, and gently pour the same amount back in. Meaning, you never have to do a 100% water change. And by a while, I assume longer than 1 week - with a 2.5 gallon tank, you should be changing the water 3 times a week. You could do 3 50% water changes a week, and you'll never have to take him out again.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 05:10 AM   #8 
kittenfish

A little bit of aquarium salt can help with healing, maybe 1 teaspoon per gallon.
Old 12-03-2013, 09:56 AM   #9 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Salt can help with infections. If thee is no infection, there is no reason to use salt. It's really not good for the fish, so it should only be a second-try treatment.

God food, clean warm water, no stress, patience. That's my prescription and that of many others on here.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote