Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-30-2013, 04:45 PM   #11 
TheFishyFoxy

Main thing that steered me away from Omega One is that the pellets seem really big. NLS seems to have more fish based ingredients too. Don't get me wrong, Omega One still is a great food. :)

NLS doesn't seem to be on the Petco website anymore. Hopefully it's in store.
TheFishyFoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 05:46 PM   #12 
Kithy

It was in the store last time I had to get some. But sometimes it's down on the lowest shelf, probably because it's more expensive and only "serious" keepers buy it. They make more money off the cheap stuff.
Kithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 05:49 PM   #13 
Chachi

I use the betta formula for my adults and the small fish formula for my babies.
Chachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 07:40 PM   #14 
TheFishyFoxy

Ended with Omega One instead. Sorry. xD

It was a lot bigger than I remember it being, and I didn't want to waste so much. Thanks anyways. Maybe when I get more fish. Wink wink.
TheFishyFoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 04:45 AM   #15 
Polkadot

I also use the Betta formula,my little ones love it!
Polkadot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 10:10 AM   #16 
dramaqueen
Banned

I have enough NLS to last me for the next 5 years. Lol It comes in great big containers and is best for people with more than 2 or 3 fish.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 11:01 AM   #17 
Cody27

When we got our male betta, Stormy, we fed him Tetra Foating Mini Pellets, but one thing they were NOT and that was "Mini".........at least compared to Hikari Bio-Gold and Omega One Buffet. Our guy had a real problem sucking the Tetra pellets into his mouth, let alone eating them. So, we stopped the Tetra and started Hikari Bio-Gold (b/c for the Reviews we read). There was two fish in Tetra, but after each "fish ingredient" was the word "meal" and the first ingredient was Fish Meal. After we learned more about Betta food, that brand just didn't cut it!

He really liked the Hikari Bio-Gold, but we wanted to feed another brand with besides that (diversity in diet). Even though Bio-Gold's fish ingredients also have the word "Meal" after each one, many betta people use this brand, so it couldn't bad. Anyway, after reading info and reviews, got Omega One Buffet. He "swooped" these down fast. Now, Omega One Buffet actually states the kind of fish in the ingredients, but no "meal" word after.........that sounded great and the reason for such high reviews/recommendations.

NOW, read excellent reviews for NLS Betta Formula.........sounds like the VERY BEST betta pellet on the market!! So, giving very serious thought about ordering a jar (50g) of this on Amazon. Petco carries NLS, but not this kind and no other LFS carries the NLS brand at all. I've read some reviews that state the pellet is too big, but if it's the size of either Hikari or Omega One.......it sure isn't too big for our guy.

Last (sorry for the long reply, but when retired, have plenty of time to write good stuff for info LOL), we are wondering how may people out there actually do feed their betta more than one brand of pellet? Does "diversity in diet" mean more than one brand of pellet? I think it would, b/c the other betta food is pretty much for a "treat" not a meal.
Cody27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 12:50 PM   #18 
jaysee
Reference Team

New Life Spectrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody27 View Post
When we got our male betta, Stormy, we fed him Tetra Foating Mini Pellets, but one thing they were NOT and that was "Mini".........at least compared to Hikari Bio-Gold and Omega One Buffet. Our guy had a real problem sucking the Tetra pellets into his mouth, let alone eating them. So, we stopped the Tetra and started Hikari Bio-Gold (b/c for the Reviews we read). There was two fish in Tetra, but after each "fish ingredient" was the word "meal" and the first ingredient was Fish Meal. After we learned more about Betta food, that brand just didn't cut it!

He really liked the Hikari Bio-Gold, but we wanted to feed another brand with besides that (diversity in diet). Even though Bio-Gold's fish ingredients also have the word "Meal" after each one, many betta people use this brand, so it couldn't bad. Anyway, after reading info and reviews, got Omega One Buffet. He "swooped" these down fast. Now, Omega One Buffet actually states the kind of fish in the ingredients, but no "meal" word after.........that sounded great and the reason for such high reviews/recommendations.

The "fish meal" in hikari isn't the bad part of the food - it's the wheat, soy, potato, wheat, corn and more wheat that makes it bad. It's a terrible ingredient list.

"Meal" is not a bad thing. Omega one betta buffet uses fish meal just like every other fish food out there. Fish MUST be converted to meal in order to be used in fish food, so when a company states a protein on the label that is NOT a meal, most times it's a misrepresentation of the abundance of that ingredient. Plain old "salmon" listed means the preprocessed weight of the fish is used, and 80% of the weight of the fish is lost in the mealing process. So they can claim that 100 lbs of salmon are used, even though there is really only 20 lbs of salmon in the product.

The bottom line is that omega one uses the ingredients list as a way of making their food look better than it really is.

Last edited by jaysee; 03-25-2014 at 12:52 PM.
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 02:49 PM   #19 
Cody27

So, what I'm gathering from your reply here is that NLS Betta Formula pellets ARE the best of all three.........being, Hikari, Omega One and NLS. Right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysee View Post
The "fish meal" in hikari isn't the bad part of the food - it's the wheat, soy, potato, wheat, corn and more wheat that makes it bad. It's a terrible ingredient list.

"Meal" is not a bad thing. Omega one betta buffet uses fish meal just like every other fish food out there. Fish MUST be converted to meal in order to be used in fish food, so when a company states a protein on the label that is NOT a meal, most times it's a misrepresentation of the abundance of that ingredient. Plain old "salmon" listed means the preprocessed weight of the fish is used, and 80% of the weight of the fish is lost in the mealing process. So they can claim that 100 lbs of salmon are used, even though there is really only 20 lbs of salmon in the product.

The bottom line is that omega one uses the ingredients list as a way of making their food look better than it really is.
Cody27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 03:15 PM   #20 
Otterfun

NLS has garlic in it so fish tends to like it better and it is better for immune system. i feed OO and NLS (2 each) every day.

if the pellet is too big you can grind it down a tad using a mortor or the back of a steel spoon. also, if the fish spits it out and then pick it up and spits it out again, it means it's too big to chew.
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote