Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-01-2010, 10:16 PM   #11 
brancasterr

Thanks Oldfishlady. :) So if I suspect my betta has a bacterial or fungal infection I should treat him with epsom salt or aquarium salt? Should I add it directly to tank with my betta in there? How long do I leave in there before doing a water change? (partial or full?)

Also, what should I do about live plants in the tank?
brancasterr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 10:18 PM   #12 
Oldfishlady

I use the API brand, but mostly I use kosher salt because it is cheaper and easier to find....I just look to see if it has the anti caking agent in it, iodine is not harmful as most state but the anti caking agent can be toxic in large doses or long term.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 10:26 PM   #13 
brancasterr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
I use the API brand, but mostly I use kosher salt because it is cheaper and easier to find....I just look to see if it has the anti caking agent in it, iodine is not harmful as most state but the anti caking agent can be toxic in large doses or long term.
So I should just throw it right in there with him? Then proceed to do my water changes as normal?

Will such a minimal amount of salt kill my plant? (its a java fern)
Old 04-01-2010, 10:27 PM   #14 
Oldfishlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by brancasterr View Post
Thanks Oldfishlady. :) So if I suspect my betta has a bacterial or fungal infection I should treat him with epsom salt or aquarium salt? Should I add it directly to tank with my betta in there? How long do I leave in there before doing a water change? (partial or full?)

Also, what should I do about live plants in the tank?
Most plants will tolerate aquarium salt short term and espom salt can be used as plant food so it is safe
If I am treating fin issues or bacterial issues I like to use aquarium salt
I alway put the fish in QT, I like to use half gallon container and per mix my salt and make 100% daily water changes and healing can be seen within 3-5 days in most cases if caught early, I also lower the water temp to 76-78f because bacteria thrive in warmer water.
If I have constipation or swim bladder issues I use epsom salt and raise the temp up to 80-82F
Regardless of salt type I use or reason for use I make daily water changes from 50-100%, I have found most treatment are best done while in QT with 100% water changes
Old 04-01-2010, 10:32 PM   #15 
brancasterr

I currently don't have a QT tank. Would it be safe to put him in the container I bought him in and just do daily salt baths?
Old 04-01-2010, 10:40 PM   #16 
Oldfishlady

For a 10 day salt treatment of 1tsp/gal, the container that you got him in will work fine, per mix the salt in a 1gal jug and make 100% daily water changes and as long as you keep the pre mixed water jug in the same location as the QT fish it should maintain the same water temp, this is also important...water temp with 100% water changes you don't want the water temp to be more than a couple of degrees difference do not to cause a temp shock.

Java fern is pretty salt tolerant

You don't want to use aquarium salt for longer than 10 days due to the long term effect it can have on the kidneys of the fish.
Old 04-01-2010, 10:50 PM   #17 
brancasterr

So from what I understand, you're saying I should keep him in the smaller container I brought him home from the store in? Will he be okay in there for 10 days solid? And use aquarium salt?

Thanks for your help by the way. :)
Old 04-01-2010, 10:54 PM   #18 
Oldfishlady

Brancasterr.....What is wrong with him? and why are you needing to treat him? sometimes all that need to be done is 50% daily water changes and no salt is needed....all depends on what is wrong..........
Old 04-01-2010, 11:10 PM   #19 
brancasterr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Brancasterr.....What is wrong with him? and why are you needing to treat him? sometimes all that need to be done is 50% daily water changes and no salt is needed....all depends on what is wrong..........
Today, after a day or so of being far less active and a full water change, I noticed a white patch on his right gill. I can't tell what it is exactly but I fear its an infection. So I'm keeping and eye on it. I just want to be well prepared if the need for treatment presents itself.
Old 04-02-2010, 03:22 AM   #20 
shannon

This might sound strange but keeping a turkey baster just for your fish is a handy tool. I use mine every day. You can remove uneaten food,or when switching to a new bowl or tank it is great to remove most of the old water before transfering fish to minimize contaminition of new water.
S.
shannon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cheese