Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-03-2013, 08:33 AM   #1 
regenfliege

Sick Betta - Maybe dropsy?

My betta Cas has been ill for a few days now. He stays at the bottom of the tank and only occasionally darts to the surface for air. He won't eat, or he can't eat. I can't figure out which, it's almost as though he can't see his food when he does try. He used to eat like a pig but now he spits out his food whenever he manages to get some. He is a little bloated and his scales around his gills are raised; I'm afraid it may be the beginnings of dropsy . He is extremely muted in color and his fins are clamped. I have him in a low makeshift hospital tank (I discovered my actual one has a crack) until I can get to the aquarium store after work. This morning he was swimming around a little more than usual but he immediately falls on his side after a few seconds and just lays there. I can try to get a photo after I get home from class.

How should I go about cleaning the main tank? I know if it is dropsy his chances are zip but in case it's not (and if I have to find a new friend) I need to know how to sterilize the tank.

I forgot to add this:

What size is your tank? - 3
What temperature is your tank? - 77F
Does your tank have a filter? - Yes, currently off
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? - Yes
Is your tank heated? - Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? -None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? - Frozen blood worms, betta pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? - Once a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? - Once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? - 50% one week 100% the next
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? -Conditioner

Last edited by regenfliege; 12-03-2013 at 08:49 AM.
regenfliege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 08:46 AM   #2 
aditya

it maybe dropsy. you don't need to afraid.go to a local betta breeder and show your fish to him.he may give you some solutions. you can add aquarium salt in his tank.
aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 10:41 PM   #3 
ANHEL123

Hey how is your betta doing?
If he is bloated his scales can be raised because of bloating. Bloating can be also due to internal parasites .
How is he doing?
How long you have him?
Any more symptoms developed?
Usually if fish has dropsy you don't use aquarium salt. If all his body pineconing when you look from the top then it can be fluid retention in his body and you need Epsom salt. Epsom salt will dehydrate the betta and help to reduce fluid in the body.
I am sorry you didn't get any help earlier, please give us an update on you little guy .
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 12:49 AM   #4 
Spinny

If it's dropsy don't lose hope, his chances are not zip! If you treat it at an early stage you might cure it:) I brought one home at an early stage and it recovered:) Only takes time and care. ANHEL123 is right about the Epsom salt. If aquarium salt is used, there will be fluid retention causing the capillaries to keep more fluid causing a more bloated and pine coned shaped betta. Epsom salt does the opposite and also helps with constipation. Since it's just scales around the gills, it might not even be dropsy, just constipation. But if it is dropsy just remember, it's not the end:) good luck:)
Spinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 12:22 AM   #5 
ANHEL123

Spinny how you treated your betta that had early stage of it?
Old 12-14-2013, 06:05 PM   #6 
Spinny

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANHEL123 View Post
Spinny how you treated your betta that had early stage of it?
ANHEL123, I used Interpet no.9 Anti Internal Bacteria, he recovered in a week. I used it because where I come from dont supply much medicines for fish. This worked for me because the active ingredients where quite strong. But since dropsy is deadly, I gave it a shot. Thank heavens it worked :)
Old 12-14-2013, 06:06 PM   #7 
Spinny

* were, not where, typo sorry
Old 12-14-2013, 10:27 PM   #8 
ANHEL123

Thank you for the information , its good to know . I am glad its helped your fish:)
Old 01-06-2014, 03:12 PM   #9 
ANHEL123

Hey , how is your betta doing?
Old 02-26-2014, 06:20 PM   #10 
regenfliege

Hey everyone, I'm so sorry for the late update. I've been absolutely swamped with school and work. Despite my efforts, Cas's condition worsened; he could no longer eat, swim or be a happy fish. I made the decision to euthanize him as it was clear he wasn't going to get better, and odds are he would've starved. As much as it hurt me to make that decision, I feel it was for the best.
regenfliege is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bloated, dropsy, not eating, sick