Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Meet the Betta Keepers
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-07-2013, 08:14 PM   #1 
DalphiaRose

Hello! (NEWB ALERT)

Hello everyone! My alias/username is Dalphia. I have never had non-furry pets before, but I have always loved to oh and ah at betta fish whenever I saw them in homes or stores.

Lately, I have decided to research the adorable fish in order to prepare myself for my inevitable keeping of them.

Soon, I will be heading off to college, and I decided that I would both own bettas and breed them as a small hobby. My friend and future room-mate is more than happy to accompany me on my journey, along with another fish-loving friend of mine that will guide us.

So far, I have really fallen in love with both the Dragon and Butterfly colorings on Halfmoons, and most Crowntails. I also really love Rosetails, but have read enough about them to know that I probably wouldn't enjoy breeding them, and that it isn't really encouraged.

My current plan is to have maybe two 10 gallon tanks, one for females and one for breeding. Breeding tank would have a divider in it for some, but not all of the time. Then, for the males, I would have smaller, maybe two and a half to five gallon tanks, depending on the fish and decor. Lastly, for fry, I would have various small tanks in-between the time I decide to keep or sell and when they begin getting more aggressive.

I apologize for that wall of text. Since I don't have my own fish yet, I felt like I needed to explain my plans so my membership wasn't questioned.

Feel free to bestow knowledge on me and send me pointers.
DalphiaRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 09:16 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hello and welcome to the forum.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 10:03 PM   #3 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Greetings Dalphia and welcome to the forum, its a pleasure to have you join us :)
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 11:17 PM   #4 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Welcome to the forum. We wouldn't question your membership because you don't have a fish, if anything it's a good thing- it means you are prepared and doing your research!

I generally don't suggest hopping strait into the hobby with breeding since it is by no means an easy thing to do, but it can be done as long as you do your research (and plenty of it!). Some quick pointers I would follow are having room for jars (and ways to heat them)/ being prepared for large spawns, starting with quality stock that will produce desirable offspring, and being patient.

I definitely would recommend against rose and feather tails.

Good luck. If you want me to link you to some good breeding specific threads and sites I will.
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 09:05 AM   #5 
DalphiaRose

Thanks everyone!

Also, thanks for those pointers! Since I can't do anything yet with fish, I am reading and searching for every tid-bit of information I can get. Youtube is also a pretty good resource. :D

I am still searching for American fish that have qualities I am looking for, which gives me more time to research!
DalphiaRose is offline   Reply With Quote