Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-01-2013, 09:00 AM   #1 
GBS

Betta throwing up food?

I'm started a new thread b/c I thought it would get more exposure than my 14-page on-going saga (http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=242714.)

Long story short, I have a betta who has very, very bad fin rot and probable SBD. He no longer swims. He's in about 2 inches of water for breathing and eating purposes.

The last week or so he would go after his pellet, eat it and then either the next morning or later that day I would find the pellets (whole or in pieces) regurgitated in the tank (at least that's what I assume is happening). He hasn't pooped in a while so I'm guessing he's not digesting his food.

Any thoughts?
GBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 11:37 AM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

They don't throw it up but spit it back out usually if it's too large for them. What food are you feeding?

Since using NLS both Betta Formula (1mm) and Grow formula (.5mm), none of my fish have ever spit their food back up because it's small enough for them to eat it easily.
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 12:32 PM   #3 
jaysee
Reference Team

Stress is a very common cause for fish to spit food out too.
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 03:51 PM   #4 
ANHEL123

GBS i am very sorry he didn't get better despite all your efforts :( And for everyone i just want to say, there is another thread that about 14 pages

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=242714

...we (including LittleBlueFishlets)were trying to figure out what is wrong with the little guy . He already was treated with Kanaplex for i think 3-4 rounds, or 5. Little guy sick from the 08/13 . And i think we tried the salt treatment too. So i think he is very sick for the long time and just not getting better even after medications . Just want to throw more information here....so you know that the size of the food unfortunately not the problem here. He has some serious internal and probably external problems going on . He survived for the long time and been treated ,but never got back to normal himself, but still eating.Now he can't probobly digest the food...which is something new that he is experiencing, since i think a few days ago. GBS i don't remember ,did you tried frozen blood worms? Sorry everyone and GBS that i just throw all this information, but it is very important in order to figure out what is going on with him, i think.

Last edited by ANHEL123; 12-02-2013 at 03:53 PM.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 09:05 PM   #5 
GBS

Thanks Anhel123. I was just trying to simplify things for folks without getting bogged down in Mo's long, long history which, while I know is important, it's almost too much to recall.

He seemed "ate" a pellet this evening and got a 100% water change. I'm fairly certain I'll see the pellet regurgitation in the tank tomorrow morning.

Other than that he's status quo.

Thanks again for recapping for folkd.
Old 12-02-2013, 10:10 PM   #6 
ANHEL123

I think you can try Epsom salt. I don't think its a good idea to treat him again. I think you treated him for rounds of kanaplex?
Let us know how he doing please.
Old 12-06-2013, 09:09 PM   #7 
ANHEL123

GBS how its going?
Old 12-07-2013, 09:12 PM   #8 
GBS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANHEL123 View Post
GBS how its going?
No change. I don't know if that's good or bad. Thanks.
Old 12-07-2013, 09:44 PM   #9 
LittleBlueFishlets

I know you tried Epsom salt and multiple rounds of Kanaplex.... Did you ever try an antiparasitical, such as the combination of metronidazole and praziquantel? (This is found in products like API General Cure.)
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 04:22 PM   #10 
GBS

I have not but will put getting to the store to get some on my to-do list. Thank you.