Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-01-2010, 10:14 PM   #1 
etanico

Help for a beginner?

I have had Bettas my whole life. I just got another today, and he is beautiful. I've always had small tanks for my Bettas (a gallon or less), but I would really like to branch out.

Here's what I would like to know:
-Where is the best place to buy a good, inexpensive tank?
-For one Betta, what is a good size for a tank?
-What accessories (thermometers, heaters, etc.) do I NEED?

Thanks!
etanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 10:34 PM   #2 
ecoprincess

Hi,

I also have had a betta for awhile (almost a year) and have been keeping him in a half gal. wall mounted tank with no filter or heater.

Needless to say Freddy wasn't doing so well. Loss of colour, lathargic, fin rot... :( So i decided to upgrade and try and nurse Freddy back to health.

I just went out today and bought a 5gal starter kit. I shopped around and in general Wal-Mart was the cheapest. (I went to petsmart, and two local pet stores on top of wal-mart) $50 for the tank, florecent light w hood, whisper filter, water conditioner and food) I went ahead and bought the Tetra Submersible heater (2-15gal) about $11 (in canada wal-mart) I like this heater b/c it will auto adjust to maintain 78 deg. Some gravel and an additional cave $(15) Im also using the ones i had in his old tank. Altho it comes with conditioner i bought NovAqua + water conditioner.....i've heard good things ($13 16 oz). I also bought a bucket to make water changes quicker. :)

All in all i spent less than $100 and got the essentials. I will go out and buy water tester kit soon and some more plants.

Anything i miss?
ecoprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 10:47 PM   #3 
1fish2fish

For one betta the minimum requirement is 2 gallons. Along with that you need a heater that is capable of keeping the tank at 78-80*F, a thermometer to verify that the temp is stable (this can just be a digital kitchen thermometer), a liquid test kit is recommended but if you do 100% water changes 2 times a week you don't necessarily need one.

If you have multiple bettas it is cheaper in the long run to buy a bigger tank and divide it. Just keep in mind that each fish needs 2 gallons each with 3 being much better. If you decided to go this route I highly suggest you get a filter and look into cycling.. that way you wouldn't have to do as frequent water changes. IMO tanks 10 gallons and up should always be cycled because its a big time waster to have to do a 100% weekly water change on a tank that big.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 01:56 AM   #4 
shannon

The best place I have found to get fish tanks are the thrift stores you can get 10 gal. tanks for about 5-10 dallors. You need to wash them well and fill it to check for leaks. You should do this with new tanks as well.
S.

sorry forgot to say you will need a 50-100w heater.thermometer, and a low current filter, like a sponge or box filter. Have fun decorating it with what ever or imaganition comes up with that will not damage fins. Because these types of filters do not need a gravel substrate you can just leave it bare (easy to clean) ro use some pretty marbles.
S.

Last edited by dramaqueen; 04-02-2010 at 05:19 PM.
shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 10:33 AM   #5 
etanico

Right now, my newest fish is in a generic fishbowl, because I didn't have any open tanks. He seems perfectly happy, swimming through the middle and around in circles. Is this a bad setup or can I just continue using it?
Old 04-02-2010, 12:30 PM   #6 
1fish2fish

how big is it? like i said u need at least 2 gallons. you also need a heater.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 01:21 PM   #7 
etanico

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fish2fish View Post
how big is it? like i said u need at least 2 gallons. you also need a heater.
I'm not sure EXACTLY how big it is, but he seems perfectly happy in it. I don't think it's more than a gallon.
Old 04-02-2010, 02:29 PM   #8 
Brains

I think I am going to buy a 10 gallon from this online store.

http://www.petsr4u.com/proddetail.asp?prod=2010010

It costs about 22.16$. It doesn't come with a hood, stand, or filter. I think I am going to make my own "hood" with some mosquito netting, which you can pick up from a local hardware store. Use an Aquaclear 20 as my filter. A Eheim Jager 50 watt heater, and I have a digital thermometer from my old tank. I used to have a 60 gallon fish tank, and I did 80% weekly water changes with buckets. Needless to say it was terrible haha :). So I definitely wouldn't mind twice weekly 50% water changes on a 10 gallon haha. Anyways just be sure to check out everywhere before you make a purchase, try craigslist.com or something like that. If you shop smart you might be able to get everything for under 50$, but a betta tank definitely should be under 100$. Good luck! :)
Brains is offline   Reply With Quote