Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-08-2013, 08:06 PM   #21 
LittleAzul

Im starting to lean towards an epsom salt bath treatment. Anyone got some steps on how to set it up?
LittleAzul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 04:32 PM   #22 
LittleAzul

Update 3: Bloating still hasnt gone down. Going to the pet store today to find some new food and possibly some medication. Is freeze dried baby shrimp okay? I heard its great for constipation and bloating.

Also can New Life or Omega One be found at Petsmart?
Old 12-09-2013, 10:49 PM   #23 
LittleAzul

Just got Azul his new food. Omega One Betta pellets. The person at the store also suggested the pea method. Should I really try it?
Old 12-10-2013, 12:03 AM   #24 
ANHEL123

You made this post on 7th so he is bloated for a few days. Did you fast him for a few days? I would not feed him a pea. Give him one Omega in the morning and one at night. Do not give more than that. Do not give dried bw. Is you can i would really recommend to go and buy frozen daphnia that helpful with constipation.
Betta can be bloated due to many reasons and a few of them internal parasites, overfeeding, constipation.
When you saw his poop is it was normal color ? Just want to rule out internal parasites. With internal parasites poo will be white,clear wormy shape. So try to monitor his poo.
Lets try to observe him a few more days.
Check the poo to rule out internal infection.
If you can buy frozen daphnia and if you can new life spectrum betta pellets. Omega is excellent too. I feed with both of that brands. I just love NLS while he is bloated. Those pellets are a lot of smaller.
Also if you go to the store you can buy Epsom just in case you need to use . Epsom you can find at any pharmacy dep , not a pet store. It should be 100% pure magnesium sulfate (unscented, without any additives).
How he behavior wise, any changes?
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 12:14 AM   #25 
LittleAzul

He is doing fine in behavior, he still swims and makes bubbles. I have fasted him for a couple days. I tried to look for New Life, but they didnt have it so I got Omega instead. His poo was a normal color, yes. He hasnt done it today, but I havent watched him all day, just check on him once in a while.

My plan right now is to feed him Omega for a couple days. Then maybe try a salt bath. But yeah, definitely overfed.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:36 AM   #26 
ANHEL123

how long you have him? I am just curious if he is old. I have a betta (2.5 y old) that never was bloated before. All of a sudden he got bloated ,was bloated for about 10 days. I fed him frozen daphnia, small meals. Then i decide to give him Epsom . He got back to normal but still get a little bloated easily. So i am trying to feed him small meals and frozen daphnia sometimes.

Do only full water changes , don't even do 50% at all. The less water movement,the better it is.
Try to feed one pellet in the morning and one at night. Frozen daphnia would really help.
Just like Aquatail said see if he will not get better with small meals then try Epsom . But i would give him more time. It is a good sign that his poo is normal color .

Keep us updated please, good luck!
Old 12-10-2013, 10:43 AM   #27 
LittleAzul

I would ask for frozen daphnia but Im not sure where it could be found.
Ive had him for at least 4 months, since August, idk how old he is. But he looks like he could be several months or a year.

Im gonna feed him small meals for now. Then maybe in a couple days give him some Epsom. Thank you!
Old 12-10-2013, 12:10 PM   #28 
ANHEL123

If you will use Epsom make sure you pre mix and dissolve before you add it to the tank. You can start from 1 tsp/gall and increase to 3 tsp/gall. You can alternate water changes every other day between 50% and 100%. I didn't do daily water changes because i didn't want to stress him out. I did full water changes every 4 days for his 2.5 gall.
Old 12-10-2013, 12:54 PM   #29 
dramaqueen
Banned

I was able to get frozen daphnia at Petsmart so you can get it there if you live near a Petsmart. I had a fish that was constipated for 9 days before he finally pooped. He didn't eat during that time, either.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 02:08 PM   #30 
LittleAzul

Ill think about getting daphnia later. Ill see how the Omega One holds up.