Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-08-2013, 12:34 PM   #1 
KFM

Please help! TC Tetracycline dosage help!

It looks like my fish, Columbus, has fairly bad fin rot right now. He's been behaving normally, so I wasn't sure of how bad it was until today. He's been under a lot of stress lately (I am in college and I had to drive home/back to college for thanksgiving break-with him!). He had a different case of fin rot when I first got him (a year ago), and I ran a maracyn II treatment on him. It stopped spreading, but didn't improve, even after 2 treatments. But, he went back to being happy, and things never got worse, so I just kept his tank clean and continued on.

Anyway, the point is that he is in pretty bad shape right now. I am afraid there might be more wrong with him than fin rot (red patches). I have no idea how old he is, besides a year, because the pet store he was bought from is not a chain and I don't know their suppliers.

I have him in a little hospital tank. He is in about 3 cups of water. I just started a TC tetracycline treatment, and I was wondering about how much I should be using. The product says to use 1 packet (500 mg) per 10 gallons. How much product should I use for 3 cups? I put in about two small pinches, like, maybe, 1/30 of a packet, if that. Since I'm afraid the situation is serious, I wanted to know if I should use more, or something different, or do something else. I am going to keep performing a 100% change of water each day, too.

Please help. I love Columbus.
KFM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 07:31 PM   #2 
LittleBlueFishlets

Can you post a photo? Seeing the extent of the fin rot can help people determine what type of treatment he may need.

Do the red patches look like sores/wounds? Or do they run the length of his fins?

The best way to dose medications in small containers is to mix it in a larger container, then fill the small container.

You can mix one packet of medication into a 1 gallon jug of water. (Add conditioner!) Since he's in about 3 cups of water right now, add 2.5 ounces of this medicated water to the tank. This is about 5 tablespoons.

Can you please fill out the form below so we have more information? Answer what you can. Leave anything else blank or put NA.

--------------------------------

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote