Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-04-2013, 10:32 PM   #1 
Phantom Miria

White-transparent specs on/around lips

My female Clare has had these kind of clear white specs on her face for a few weeks now, and I think they might be spreading on her lips. Its hard to tell because they are, well, small specs and I might just be being paranoid. They are mostly on her lips, this is what I'm talking about- She is still eating, very active and always swimming around. Absolutely no change in her behavior. I don't think its anywhere else besides behind here eyes maybe, Its hard to tell. I've had betta's die from columnaris but it looks kind of fuzzy and a lot different than this, and they were also very sluggish, etc. so I'm pretty sure this isn't something particularly deadly because she has had it for a few weeks now and is active, if not even more. Another thing to note is that my tank is an NPT, and has just gotten over a case of blue green algae. Its dosed with Excel and Stress-zyme and the water params are very good (checked weekly).
Phantom Miria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 10:09 PM   #2 
ANHEL123

Hey how is she doing?
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 12:22 AM   #3 
Phantom Miria

She's doing wonderful! Specs are still there but she is the most active she's ever been in her entire life, playful, and devouring any food I put in there. I'm willing to bet this is just some kind of skin defect or something and not anything particularly harmful? But I'd still like to know exactly what it is. Thanks for caring :)
Old 12-07-2013, 08:30 AM   #4 
ANHEL123

I am wondering if it can be excess of the slime coat. Fish can excess its own slime coat from injury, medications, salt. I was wondering if it could be due to Excel and Stress-zyme that you recently added? Is it necessary to do? I am not experienced with NPT tanks, all my tanks also not cycled and don't have lot of plants, but i was wondering if you can just wipe the walls from algae instead of adding more stuff in the tank. Not sure what is Excel. I prefer to use less chemicals. Since its helps with algae i am assuming it has something that in it that is not beneficial to fish.
If you have filter in your tank make sure you swish /rinse it regularly.
Old 12-07-2013, 08:38 AM   #5 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Anhel, Excel is a CO2 supplement. It's not harmful to fish and is used quite frequently in NPT's to keep algae down and the plants growing But the algae we have cannot just simply be wiped unfortunately, much of it is blue-green algae which is actually a cyanobacteria and is toxic to fish if eaten so most fish don't eat it, nor do snails. But it's on the plants and algae build up will block the light from the plant causing the plant to die which is not the goal in NPT tanks. Plant death equals ammonia spikes so that's not good! By adding Excel, the only thing that's being added back to the tank is CO2 which is originally in there in the first place, just a lower concentration of it is all.

Stress-Zyme is a beneficial bacterial supplement, basically the bottle of good bacteria. That's just added to keep the tank healthy with good bacteria. However that one is not needed once the tank is established, so Phantom you can stop using that now in case it is linked to the girl. I doubt that it is since I've used to plenty myself but it might be worth it. You've got plenty of good bacteria in there already Use it if you rinse out a sponge filter or filter media or clean out a filter, otherwise you won't need to use it on an established tank.
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 12:08 PM   #6 
Phantom Miria

What Lilnaugrim said^ lol. The Excel has been used on and off and the specs on her lip formed when I wasn't even using it. As for the Stress-zyme, I've used it since the very beginning of the AQ, and used it agian after the tank crashed. The directions say to use it after water changes which is what I do, I could discontinue use.

I don't use anything other than that, the whole point of an NPT is to keep it natural (at least to me) so adding a bunch of chemicals doesn't sound to appealing.
Old 12-08-2013, 10:35 PM   #7 
ANHEL123

Make sense to me now lol All my tanks not cycled and i never had NPT tank. All my tanks without filters , just do full water changes so i never add anything into my tanks. Learning every day, thank you.
Old 12-15-2013, 01:44 PM   #8 
Phantom Miria

Whatever it is has now spread onto her eyes kind of like a white spot in the middle. Shes still perfectly healthy and fine otherwise. Eyes are not abnormal otherwise.
Old 12-19-2013, 08:01 PM   #9 
ANHEL123

not sure what it is but i would think if it would be something serious her healthy would deteriorate already. And since you don't know what it is you not going to treat her anyway. I guess just observation is the best choice. I am glad she is acting healthy!
Old 12-19-2013, 10:22 PM   #10 
Phantom Miria

Thanks!! Yes she is absolutely healthy and although there are white specs on the middle of her eye's, she is not blind at all and is completely healthy and gobbling up food like a champ :3 I treated her individually with Kanoplex, nothing. I've treated the entire tank with Kanoplex, nothing. I'm wondering if perhaps she is rubbing up against something or perhaps its a skin issue? Keep in mind I have blue green algae in my AQ unfortunately.