Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-08-2013, 02:28 PM   #1 
sourjacks

Lethargic, Clamped boy

Hello everyone,

My boy, Mr. Fish, hasn't been feeling well for a little over a week now. He was sick back in August, I actually posted a thread about him but didn't have any help. I just didn't give up on him and kept trying different methods. I stuck with aquarium salt and that helped him, to the point where he was completely better!! :D It was the best feeling to see Mr. Fish back to normal! Thanksgiving morning, he wasn't clamped but he was lethargic. His water had been 72 that week because temperature had dropped a bunch. He had a heater in, but it only adds 5 degrees to what the room temperature is. So he had a new heater on its way that maintains a 78 degree temperature. I fed him before I left on a mini trip for two days and came back and fed him immediately (I know they can go a bit without being fed). I put in his new heater along with a water change (he was still acting weird when I came back from my trip) and the next morning after the new heater, he was active and normal! That night, he was acting very strange, darting, seemed on edge, but not "itching" on anything. I checked with a light for ich or external parasites but he doesn't seem to have anything wrong. He has absolutely no problem eating, but he is extremely lethargic. I have actually been adding a teeeensy bit of aquarium salt since he has been sick. I know its not healthy for them, because you are only supposed to do about a week or two of the treatment, but as soon as I took him off of the salt (a few months ago treating his first illness) his bad signs showed up again right away. He functions best when there is salt in his tank, and I'd rather him be happy that way rather than laying around all day. What is wrong with him? This literally happened over night!!! Mr. Fish just lays either at the surface ALL NIGHT or lays at the bottom of the tank. The way he swims looks like he is really uncomfortable. His fins are so clamped!

-2.5 gallon heated tank
-no filter
-weekly 100% water changes
-stable 78*
-treat tank with stress coat (he was having bad fin rot) by API and betta safe water conditioner
-feed him buffet pellets by omega one, (3 - 4 pellets a day - two morning/two night) but when he gets a water change I give him a freeze dried bloodworm that I cut in half, as a treat because my fishies hate water changes!

He was doing bubble nests every week until he started feeling like this I haven't gotten a bubble nest :(
sourjacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 03:28 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hang on. I'm going to try and get you some help.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 03:48 PM   #3 
sourjacks

Thank you so much dramaqueen. I appreciate it greatly. Everyone on this site is so caring!! :')
Old 12-08-2013, 05:59 PM   #4 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Do you know what your water parameters are?
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 12:26 AM   #5 
sourjacks

No I do not have a test kit

Tags
clamped, lethargic, sick