Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-08-2013, 12:46 AM   #11 
XxxXnoodleXxxX

He has more red streaks on his body, and they appear to be forming on his tail fins. He seems a slight bit sluggish. Much more obvious now. I think I'm gonna try to medicate him with a gram negative antibiotic, I have kanaplex on hand. Any other suggestions? He is clearly not just getting better.
XxxXnoodleXxxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 12:50 AM   #12 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Do you have pictures?

If you have kanaplex, it would probably be effective or at least help if this actually is septicemia. Make sure to complete the full course and keep him absolutely quarantined.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 12:55 AM   #13 
dramaqueen
Banned

I would go ahead and try the Kanaplex. Some of the symptoms of septicemia, according to a book I have can include dropsy and popeye. +1 Matt.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 01:05 AM   #14 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

I'm starting to get worried about the use of kanaplex for so many things because it's only a matter of time before resistance starts, but for septicemia you need something that goes internal... Here's what darkmoon's guide says... Keep in mind it's starting to go out of date-

•Symptoms: Bloody red streaks across the body and/or fins, lethargic, loss of apetite, clamped, gasping for air, bloated, ulcers.
•Treatment: Septicemia is caused by an internal bacterial infection. From what I’ve read, it can be due to compromised digestion as a result of rapid drops in temperature. Since Nitrite poisoning can also cause red streaks, check for that first. I do not know if it can be treated conservatively as I have never tried. Though it is not contagious, isolate sick fish. Perform daily 100% water changes. Treat with API Tetracycline, API Erythromiacin, Mardel’s Maracyn II OR Jungle’s Fungus Clear/Eliminator. If you are treating with something that does not contain Metronidoxole then combine the treatment with Jungle’s Anti-Parasite pellets. During treatment, use 1tsp/gal Aq.Salt and Stress Coat (as directed on bottle) to help prevent secondary infections.
Old 12-08-2013, 01:41 AM   #15 
XxxXnoodleXxxX

Yep, I got a few. They're fuzzy, was having focus issues with the camera, but the color is still visible.

You can see the redness in the veins along the ventral and dorsal margins of his body.

You can see the redness behind his gill and, again, along his margins.

The red spots / streaks are slightly visible at the base of his tail as a pink blur (camera was giving me heck). He also has similar spots on his right side behind his lateral fin and on top of his head.

If you're not sure what I'm talking about, as per the redness, I can point it out with lines and doodles :)
Old 12-09-2013, 02:23 AM   #16 
XxxXnoodleXxxX

So there's still a bit more red today, and we started him on Kanaplex (food and in water). No change with the lump on his tail yet. No improvement yet, hasn't gotten particularly worse either.
Old 12-09-2013, 02:24 AM   #17 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Keep us updated...
Old 12-09-2013, 05:54 PM   #18 
XxxXnoodleXxxX

No improvements in the red splotches / streaks, but his behaviour is still perky and happy, and he's still eating like a little pig. Hard to say, just because 2 of the streaks look like lesions, but my other half thinks maybe that the red is also part of the marbling. I'd find it hard to imagine a cellophane dalmation dragonscale twintail with iridescent blue coloration could also have red spots, but who knows at this point. He's got everything else XD
Old 12-09-2013, 06:39 PM   #19 
Sakura8

Yes, I agree with Matt about overusing Kanaplex. In general, I prefer to only use it in non-dropsy cases as other antibiotics will be just as effective as long as the meds don't need to go internal. In this case, Noodle, since he is NOT showing dropsy signs, you may want to try Maracyn 2 as long as your pH is not above 7.2. Maracyn 2 (aka minocycline) also absorbs into the system readily but I do not recommend it for any case where the kidneys may be involved because it can further damage them.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 02:24 PM   #20 
XxxXnoodleXxxX

Well he still has the red bits, but he's not acting any sicker, so I'm starting to think there's nothing wrong with him. He IS growing quite blue/black though. Just has his pink head. :3
THough he still has that black lump on his tail. >_o;