Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-09-2013, 06:34 AM   #1 
qi84

Worm feeding went wrong

Hi,

I was feeding my betta blood worms. I didnt control the quantity properly so i accidentally released too many worms in the bowl. Tiny (my betta) ate them quite fast and at one instance part of the worm was coming out through his gill. Now the scale looks a bit damaged. Im concerned and dont know what to do.

Please advise.

Thank you so much
qi84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 03:40 PM   #2 
ANHEL123

Sorry i am not sure how to help, i ask Sakura look at your thread. How is she doing behavior wise ?
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 03:52 PM   #3 
LittleBettaFish

I wouldn't be too worried about the worm coming out through the gills. This happens with my wild bettas when they eat their blackworms too fast and I have never noticed any ill-effects from it. In fact they usually finish the worm off themselves, or one of the other fish in the tanks will pull it free.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 04:21 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

He's probably ok like LBF said. I would probably just keep an eye on him just in case. He just couldn't wait to munch down some yummy bloodworms. Lol
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 05:20 PM   #5 
qi84

His behaviour is fine, still very active and gets excited when a person is there. the side scale covering the gill is a bit bent. So i was a bit paranoid that it will get infected.

I've been adding aquarium salt in the bowl to prevent infection.
Old 12-09-2013, 05:24 PM   #6 
LittleBettaFish

If it was me, I wouldn't even worry with aquarium salt. Bettas can take an incredible amount of damage and heal up perfectly fine with no additives or preventative medications.

I rarely see any infections occur unless the fish is already sick/in some way compromised, or if the wound itself is quite severe.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 06:27 PM   #7 
Sakura8

Hi qi84 and welcome to the forum. In this instance, I would definitely go with what LittleBettaFish advises because she has way more experience with live foods than I do. If, however, Tiny starts to show any adverse effects such as labored and heavy breathing, then please update us so we can help you.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 07:12 AM   #8 
qi84

Hi,

Thank you all for the advice. I've noticed that there is a bit of redness in the side where the worm came out, maybe also a bit swollen (is that possible?). basically the scale looked like its wedged upwards and there is redness between the gaps if you look at it form top down its quite noticable.

I've just did a mid week water change to prevent any germs from making the wound worse.

Am i being too paranoid?

Please advise.

Thank you
Old 12-12-2013, 03:09 PM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

I don't think you're being paranoid. I think a water change was a good idea.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 07:24 PM   #10 
Sakura8

I agree with DQ; when in doubt or when worried, a water change is always a great first step. How is your betta breathing? Does he seem to be in any distress? It may be possible that the gill was a bit irritated by the worm going through. The gill may not be injured per se but it may need some time to recover.

A healthy gill will be the color of a good raw steak, bright pink-red. An inflamed gill will be very bright red, like fire engine red and the betta will show signs of respiratory distress. A pale pink or white gill means a lack of oxygen.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote