Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-08-2013, 10:43 PM   #1 
Noctredors

I want to kill my betta.

He is slowly dying and i want to kill him fast, without the use of clove oil. I cannot find it at my store.

I was thinking of getting really cold water, and dropping him in there, but how long will that take for him to die?
Noctredors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 12:04 AM   #2 
jaysee
Reference Team

It'll stop moving/breathing after 3 seconds or so. Leave it in the ice water for a little bit and then dispose of however you wish. Make sure you let the ice get the water super cold first. If you've got lots of ice in there you may need to physically push the fish past the surface.

Last edited by jaysee; 12-09-2013 at 12:07 AM.
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 12:24 AM   #3 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Hold it... Can you explain what the symptoms are? Do you know what he has?

The majority of diseases are treatable, and in my opinion it's rather inhumane to choose euthanasia before at least attempting treatment.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 12:47 AM   #4 
LittleBlueFishlets

+1 to MattsBettas comment.

Yesterday, you wrote on your other thread:
Quote:
"Thanks, he's all better now, but he is still bloated. Gonna try to pick up some medicine for parasites tomorrow, since i have been noticing white stringy poop."
Why do you feel today that he's dying?

Did you try doing the series of partial water changes? Or did you try a different food, such as New Life Spectrum or Omega One?

Last edited by LittleBlueFishlets; 12-09-2013 at 12:52 AM.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 12:48 AM   #5 
Kiara1125

It would be best for us to try and help. If worse comes to worse, euthanize him by putting him in a cup and then adding one ice cube. Wait for it to melt and then add another. By doing this, you're slowing down their metabolism and they're - in a sense - going to sleep. By the time you put them in the freezer they should be mostly unresponsive. To make sure that they're gone, keep them in the freezer for 10 minutes or so. Then you can dispose of the fish in whatever means you wish. I bury all of the fish that I'm attached to or that I've had for years. I find that using this method doesn't shock nor stress out the fish.
Kiara1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 07:19 AM   #6 
Noctredors

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsBettas View Post
Hold it... Can you explain what the symptoms are? Do you know what he has?

The majority of diseases are treatable, and in my opinion it's rather inhumane to choose euthanasia before at least attempting treatment.
I've attempted so many things during the past 2 weeks.
He can't swim at all :( he has been laying on the gravel for days. I think it is dropsy. Since he has been bloated for weeks. I've fed him peas, fasted, used epsom salt. Nothing has worked, he is just laying on his side, and has been for days.

I seriously thought he was going to die tonight, but he is still alive. I'm about to put him in the ice bag right now, ill come back and tell you guys how it goes.

Last edited by Noctredors; 12-09-2013 at 07:30 AM.
Old 12-09-2013, 07:28 AM   #7 
Noctredors

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBlueFishlets View Post
+1 to MattsBettas comment.

Yesterday, you wrote on your other thread:

Why do you feel today that he's dying?

Did you try doing the series of partial water changes? Or did you try a different food, such as New Life Spectrum or Omega One?
I changed 25% of his water, changed 25% again after 15 minutes. A few hours later i saw him swimming around a little, following my finger, i thought he was getting better. The next hours he started to show the same symptoms, less active, hiding in his cave. Then i noticed something bad, he couldn't swim at all. So he lied down on the gravel, and didn't move. I thought he was dying yesterday. I woke up this morning pretty convinced that he was going to be dead, but he wasn't. He is just laying there, i tap really hard on the glass and he doesn't react much, he just moves a little. When he tries to swim, his entire body turns upside down.

He is laying on his side, and has been for almost 2 days now. He is just laying there. I put him in epsom salt again, and put him in a 0.5 gallon tank. Epsom salt isn't working though. I don't know when the last time he went up for air was, bettas need to breathe air right? He can't swim at all.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:04 AM   #8 
Crowntails

Is your tank heated?
Crowntails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 08:18 AM   #9 
Noctredors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowntails View Post
Is your tank heated?
Yes.
Old 12-09-2013, 09:53 AM   #10 
Aquatail

How long have you tried fasting and Epsom salt? Have you tried lowering the water level for him if he's having trouble swimming? Have you tried anything else like daphnia?
Aquatail is offline   Reply With Quote