Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-08-2013, 08:04 PM   #1 
JaimeeDougie

"Rash" on Bettas "nose"?

Hello all,

I got Dougie about 2 months ago and a little after that noticed what I could only describe as a rash on top of his mouth and kind of around his eye. It didn't seem harmful so I left it alone but kept a close eye on it. I asked the friend who was with me if that rash had been there when we got him and she said yes. I went home for a weekend leaving his feeding to my roommate but when I came back his rash was terribly worse than when I'd kissed him goodbye a few days prior. I have no idea what it is--he's acting fine, hasn't been rubbing against things any more than he usual does, is eating normally and still reacts to me very well--and all these diseases I've read about are terrifying me. I love my little Dougie to pieces, I don't want him to be sick!

He has a filter but no heater, no air stones or anything like that either. He eats twice a day, Tetrafin flakes, in a 1gallon tank (Aqeuon MiniBow 1). I change his water pretty much 100% every week. He has no tank friends. Please let me know if changing his water like this is a bad idea also. I don't want to stress him out.

Any advice would be golden. Doug and I thank you guys for your help!

Here's some pictures:
Attached Images

JaimeeDougie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 08:09 PM   #2 
JaimeeDougie

Another:
Attached Images

Old 12-09-2013, 03:42 AM   #3 
kittenfish

Looks like a fungal or bacterial infection, either way it can be treated with aquarium salt and more frequent water changes. Is that another spot of it on his back?
kittenfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 08:29 AM   #4 
JaimeeDougie

Thank you so much kittenfish! And I don't see anything that looks like it on his back, but I think the beginnings of the infection are starting on his right gill. I'm going to get aquarium salt and will change his water today.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:33 AM   #5 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

I would start changing his water twice a week, feed him better food (new life spectrum betta formula or omega one betta buffet pellets), and get him a heater. Bettas are tropical fish and need heaters to keep them healthy.

To be honest it looks like he just scraped up his nose. Is there anything sharp or rough at all in his tank? I would try the things I said above before aquarium salt...
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 09:12 AM   #6 
JaimeeDougie

Thanks Matt, I get what you're saying. It looks like he could have scraped his nose while I was gone for the weekend--the only potentially dangerous thing in his tank is probably the filter--and that's why his little rash appeared to get worse.

I think I'll go ahead and get the salt anyways though, because of the spot on his gill. And I dont want the little spot on his nose to bug him too much. A heater is on the list of things to get today as well.