Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-07-2013, 10:30 AM   #21 
Sabina88

Sparrow unfortunetly passed away last night.
Sabina88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 10:15 PM   #22 
Lakohta

New fish always come with parasites. Before adding them to the main population quarantine. If this is not doable, them give them a dip (salt, formalin, malachite, or a combination of all depending on the tolerance of the species) then after adding them to the main population, keep copper level at treatment level for at least 21 days.
Lakohta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 10:40 PM   #23 
Sabina88

He was the only fish in the tank, there were just snails.
I had also had him 2 weeks prior, but now problem with him until now.

I think I might have to keep an eye on fish in my 40 gallon. If this keeps happening, (all my goldies before I cleaned it out) got sick wich happened after one got its tail nipped since it was to small compared to the others and he never got better. But he was even in my 50 gallon for alittle bit since my divider actualy worked and my 50 gallon fishies are still doing really well.
I hope its not something to do with the tank

Last edited by Sabina88; 12-07-2013 at 10:44 PM.
Old 12-08-2013, 01:33 AM   #24 
ANHEL123

Sorry for your loss:( I am surprised he died so fast though. Rinse the tank and everything in the tank with hot water and let it air dry for about 4 days or a week ,it will kill all parasites. I agree about quarantining. I always quarantine new fish , some of them can show symptoms later on. Even live plants can bring the ich , so i would quarantine the plants too if you don't trust the store. I saw a few stores that keep plants in the same tank they have a fish.
Not sure if you going to buy another betta. If you can keep a betta in his own tank. I think that betta get stressed in the community tank or bigger tank. I really like to keep bettas in their own tank if you can.
I hope all other fish doing good. I hope you will rescue another betta .
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 01:51 AM   #25 
jaysee
Reference Team

Once the fish is infested it goes pretty quickly. Might take several days from the onset for the fish to become infested, but once it's sulking around with clamped fins, it's only got a couple more days left. I think that meds are the best choice for such fish. While the heat method is my preference, it takes a lot longer and the fish just doesn't have that time. In my experience with quick cure, spots are all gone in just a couple days.
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 01:20 PM   #26 
Sabina88

Thanks.
I do plan on geting another male betta but he will deffinitly have his own tank. The 40 gallon I am planing on using for a sorrity.
I heard if there's no fish in the tank that parasite will die since it has no host.

When I cleaned it the first time I dumped it and whiped it down with 70% alchahol let it sit for a day then whiped it again with clean water then filled it agian
Old 12-09-2013, 10:20 AM   #27 
ANHEL123

I am glad that you are planing to get another betta! The disinfection you did is enough. Yes parasites will die without a host. So if you wipe it and left it for a day, and i guess now is more than a day - it is good to go for another betta! Let us know when you get one!
Old 12-09-2013, 03:38 PM   #28 
Sabina88

Thanks ANHEL123 :)

I would like to get another fish. But at the moment im bared from any more fish by my mother until after Christmas lol.

But in the mean time while im wating, I need to decide weather I want to start my sorority, or get a new tank and heater for a black orchid betta I fell in love with at pet supplies plus.
Old 12-09-2013, 04:31 PM   #29 
ANHEL123

lol new tank and orchid betta! What size of the tank you thinking about? I think sorority a little bit difficult especially if you not experienced . If you ever want to start sorority make sure you research before that.
The stores i go around me are very bad and you always find a sick, or dead betta there. One time i want one betta so badly and when i came back in 2 wks he didn't look too good. So if you want that betta make sure they take care of him and change the water. Not sure if it possible to ask them to change the water on time to insure he don't get sick.
I am looking at the pictures in your avatar. Do you still have any betta at all?
Old 12-09-2013, 04:47 PM   #30 
Sabina88

For the black orchid im not sure what size id get for a tank. Im either going to have hime be on his own or split a tank with him and Mars.
Im going to use my 40 gallon for a small 8 betta sorority to start.
The petco and petsmart around me are relatively good when it comes to care of the bettas for the most part.
Right now I still have mars.
Spartan passed away about a week after I got him, but im still not sure why.
As prevousily said in this thread I lost Sparrow on Friday night after he got sick.
Luckily Mars is doing well and seems happy for the most part, :).