Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-07-2013, 06:03 AM   #11 
Bettalover89139

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBlueFishlets View Post
Maracyn PLUS contains sulfa drugs which are excellent "broad spectrum" antibiotics. (Meaning that it will treat a wide variety of bacterial diseases.) IMO, it was a good medication choice.

On one hand, since he's survived for two weeks, it's likely that the Maracyn PLUS has been helping (since most fish with dropsy don't survive that long). On the other hand, the PLUS may have already done all the good it's going to do.

Since you've already started the Kanaplex, I would keep using it. It's also "broad spectrum," and is excellent at treating internal bacterial issues.

That said, I usually don't recommend using two antibiotics simultaneously. Medications are metabolized by the liver and excreted by the kidneys. "Doubling up" will cause a lot of stress on these organs.

You didn't mention any other symptoms. However, he's eating well, which is also unusual for a fish with dropsy. Have you considered internal parasites? If he has them, then metronidazole/praziquantel may be a medication option. The metronidazole will also treat internal anaerobic bacteria.

How much Epsom salt are you using? And for how long have you used this dosage?

If 100% water changes are stressful for him, I would do daily partial ones instead. Also, how well covered is the tank? If there are openings, you can cover them with either plastic food wrap (Saran/Glad) or aluminum foil. This will increase the humidity level, and make it easier for him to breathe. (I know you've lowered the water level, but I'll mention that there should be several inches of air between the wrap and water, in case other people are following this thread and want to try this with their own fish.)

You may want to send a PM to Sakura8, and ask her advice. She has a vast amount of fish disease and medication knowledge.

----------------------------------

@Anhel - Regarding your recommendation of using Jungle Fungus Clear. Fungus Clear contains two furan medications (nitrofurazone and furazolidone).... The OP mentioned using medicated fish food. If this is the Jungle brand of medicated food, it contains sulfathiazole and nitrofurazone. So it has both sulfa and furan medications in it.
The tank he is in has two small openings at the top, much of the humidity stays in the tank,also he does have a filter but I took the media out and is basically just being used for air.
Bettalover89139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 12:08 AM   #12 
ANHEL123

I really don't think that he is double in size because of Epsom. I think that whatever he has is progressing. You actually need to increase the dose to 3tsp/gall.
Give us update on the little guy. Do not cross -contaminate anything between him and your other bettas.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 03:20 AM   #13 
Bettalover89139

he doubled in size after na ES bath, he has since lost that bloating because he didnt recieve a salt bath again. he is back to his original puffy self ,still unwell but not doubled in size anymore.
Old 12-09-2013, 09:41 AM   #14 
ANHEL123

hmmm then yes i would probobly also afraid to use it. I think it can happen that fish might not tolerant to Epsom, just like some people can have allergy to something. Then use medications ,and do not stop it. Some medications you can use longer than its recommended on the box. Not sure which one you using right now.
How he doing?
Old 12-09-2013, 04:54 PM   #15 
Bettalover89139

He is the same, still bloated and alittle pine coned. Any different medicine I can treat him with? He has had a full course of Maracyn Plus and KanaPlex . Someone said that it could be internal parasites. What's the best med for those? Furan2? I'm not sure what to get. He is getting tired looking. Like he is ready to give up. He is still eating and pooping. But just stays on the bottom with not much movement. I am willing to try another medicine on him for internal parasites but after that I'm not going to put him through anything else. He has been very trusting of me and We together have been through a lot but his sparkle in his eyes are gone. It saddens me. He may be ready to go with God. Please any suggestions on the best medicine for internal parasites would be our last stand, don't get me wrong I want him to live with me and get better but if he is tired of fighting then I ll let him rest and just be comfortable til he expires.
Old 12-12-2013, 11:11 PM   #16 
ANHEL123

sorry didn't see last post. How he doing? You actually could continue with Kanaplex longer.
Old 12-13-2013, 05:53 AM   #17 
Bettalover89139

He is still holding on. I am continuing with the KanaPlex. Just trying to make him comfortable. I think he is past the point of getting better. Very sad. I talk to him and put his little Christmas tree next to his tank,he likes when it glows, he goes to that side of the tank. Thank you so much for advice and everyone have a beautiful Holiday.
Old 12-13-2013, 01:30 PM   #18 
ANHEL123

Is he still eating? Did bloating get any better at all? Is he still severely pineconing?
Sorry:( I had 2 bettas died from dropsy , i guess kidney failure. They were old though. But it took like 2 wks them to die. They were eating almost to the last day. Its sad but they lived happy lives. And your guy is happy to have you. With all pats we always have to be ready that it will be time when we have to say goodbye . Its sad buy its life.
Old 12-13-2013, 10:15 PM   #19 
Bettalover89139

He is worse despite my efforts. His pine coning is worse,he did not eat, and his poop was clear/whitish color. His still got into his cup for me when it was time for his water change. Such a good boy. I did lower his temp in tank to high 70's instead of low 80's. Put an extra IAL in his tank,just trying to make him comfortable if that's possible. Thank you for kinda being for me through this and I know the end his near for him. He has been sick/being treated for a month.
Old 12-13-2013, 10:21 PM   #20 
sunlight

sorry:(
sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote