Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-09-2013, 11:48 AM   #1 
Weaver

Lightbulb The Betta Medicine-Cabinet: What to Buy

Everything on here leaves me paranoid about illnesses and I would like to know what medicines to have on hand for Betta illnesses. What works with what, warnings on copper-based meds and such. I'm asking because I don't want to be caught off guard if something happens and I cannot get the medication in time.

I'd like to keep a little cabinet with fish meds and well, what would everyone on here suggest to keep on-hand for most emergencies?
Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 12:03 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

Well, most people recommend Kanaplex on here but I'm afraid that it will be overused and end up becoming useless as diseases become resistant to it. I remember one of our members had a quote in his sig that said something like the best thing you can have in your fishy medicine cabinet is clean water.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 12:16 PM   #3 
Weaver

Well yes, I understand that. Disease resistance and all especially when folks don't finish a full-treatment and think they killed off most of the bad bacteria while the stuff with a mild-resistance still lives on.

And yes, being on top of water-changes and having clean water is good but should something go south what should folks have on hand?

I know that Epsom Salt is a must for Dropsy, Kanaplex, what else should a betta keeper have on hand?
Old 12-09-2013, 01:54 PM   #4 
rickey
Banned

I would probably go with the hose and bucket first
I was going through the stuff in the fish house the other day and found a bottle of Baytril injectable dated 2002

R
rickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 05:53 PM   #5 
Tolak

The best thing to keep on hand is a list of local suppliers, what they keep in stock, and their hours. A list of online sources can also come in handy.

If you stock up on meds most have an expiration date, and most will expire before you come across any need for them. As mentioned, fresh water is the best med out there, things such as epsom salt or copper sulfate pentahydrate don't expire, any antibiotic I can think of will expire.
Tolak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 06:10 PM   #6 
jaysee
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolak View Post
The best thing to keep on hand is a list of local suppliers, what they keep in stock, and their hours. A list of online sources can also come in handy.

If you stock up on meds most have an expiration date, and most will expire before you come across any need for them. As mentioned, fresh water is the best med out there, things such as epsom salt or copper sulfate pentahydrate don't expire, any antibiotic I can think of will expire.
Good advice
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 06:39 PM   #7 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

I agree that prevention is he best cure... But realistically, you can't prevent everything... Illness will eventually happen, especially with new arrivals. That being said the vast majority of things are completely preventable and even treatable with simple things like clean water, warm water (or hot, in the case of ich), and ial.

I have aquarium salt, epsom salt, seachem paraguard, methylene blue, and kanaplex on hand. The first four do not expire, and my kanaplex has an expiration date of Feb. 6, 2016 (and I've had it for a while too). I would recommend having the salts and kanaplex on hand, the salts because they are cheap, broad spectrum, and don't expire and the kanaplex because it can offer a chance of recovery in fish that would most likely die in the time it takes to get to you. The meds I listed will do the job for most things I will encounter, and in my experience this is more then I need...
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 07:52 PM   #8 
Tolak

Much of it also has to do with the situation of the individual. If you just have a few fish, and live near an urban area, you can run out & pick up epsom salt at 2am, or get nearly any fish med the next morning if need be.

If your running a lot of fish through your setup, are involved in breeding, get stock from questionable sources or live further off the beaten path your needs will be different.

I can tell you what I keep on hand & why, but my situation is most likely way different than that of the OP. A little more info on the OP's location & resources as well as current & future plans would be helpful.
Tolak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 01:48 PM   #9 
Weaver

@MattsBettas: Thank you! That's exactly the information I was looking for! The salts and methylene blue I can definitely stock-up on and that should end up treating most of what I'm expecting to encounter when I set up a bigger tank with girls in it.

Uh, well... I was just looking to see what I should have on hand. And as a general-thing for other folks on what to keep on hand. I am unfortunately in rural Colorado after leaving the Chicagoland-suburbs. So, mail-order on a lot of things like plants and meds but the salts, Kanaplex, methylene blue, and Paraguard (thank you, I was trying to decide between that and another product) should be easy pick-ups for me. (No Copper (II) Sulfate for me as our water alkalinity is very low and I just am not confident in it's use.... plus, I use that as an etching-medium for printmaking anyway. XD)

I'm just planning in advance so that I don't get caught off-guard when I get a bigger tank (25 gal) and 5 Betta-girls in the next few months. Hopefully, nothing goes south but, better safe than sorry. I don't want to be running to the store every-day either. Especially when I'll be ordering girls from Aquabid.

Thank you all for the help of what I should keep on hand (and yeah, when I pick up antibiotics anyway I usually look for the longest expiration-date) for when I do my big set-up. So, yay! Here's to the future and having on-hand what should help me prevent and treat most of what will
Old 12-10-2013, 03:19 PM   #10 
dramaqueen
Banned

I like the idea of knowing your lps hours and what they carry. I remember keeping stuff on hand that expired before I had a chance to use it.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta medicine cabinet, medications, paranoid, weaver