Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-03-2010, 07:57 PM   #11 
brancasterr

No, I haven't really had the time to sit through a bunch of call transfers and listen to a bunch of city workers to scratch their heads at what I'm asking. Haha. :P However, I plan on bringing a sample with me to PetSmart next time I go to get tested. A friend of mine who lives in the same areas as me had some tested for his betta tank and they told him it was unsuitable. But if I'm going I might as well take some of my own.
brancasterr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 08:07 PM   #12 
xxabc

Here's a tip: If they say anything, ask everything.

"Oh, it's fine."
Well what's fine?? (This bothers me, actually, lol. )
And if it's unsuitable, why? I just like to ... be knowledged. There ya go, for being nerdy haha.

I think the one thing i hate about calling is the hold music. I swear, I will cry the next time I hear hold music. It's... SO cringe-worthy !! Haha, sorry.

Also, I'm pretty sure they use strips. Better than nothing, really, lol :)
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 08:19 PM   #13 
soleilvie

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxabc View Post
I think the one thing i hate about calling is the hold music. I swear, I will cry the next time I hear hold music. It's... SO cringe-worthy !! Haha, sorry.
I called Petco recently to check up on an order (it wasn't showing up online) and they have the coolest hold music ever. It's so catchy!
soleilvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 08:23 PM   #14 
xxabc

Really?? I'm too scared to even try, lol but I'll keep that in mind next time I take a call.
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 08:52 PM   #15 
brancasterr

Haha, they use strips? How...unsatisfying. Thats not even the word I was looking for but the only I could think of. Lol.
brancasterr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 04:50 PM   #16 
Turtle

Thanks for the tips. I will definitely look for a testing kit (not strips! :) ) And hopefully should have more luck at this other pet shop getting water conditioner and aquarium salt.

As for Turtle, at the moment he seems the same. No better or worse. One of the white spots that had almost faded last night is back again. It's right next to the lump on his nose. He ate 2 pellets today but thats it. Gills still don't close properly. I'm just hoping he will stick it out until i get some salt.

Speaking of which, any advice on that? Will salt serve as a treatment? How long should i keep him in water that has had the salt added? And how long should I keep it up? I have seen that it's recommended to always add a bit of salt to the water. I'm sure there will be info on the box but I would feel safer hearing it from savvy Betta parents :D

This is my first little Betta but I am hooked!!! I really REALLY REALLY want to make him better.

Thank you!!!!
Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 01:06 PM   #17 
Turtle

Hello again...

Update: I went to the big pet store which unfortunately doesn't stock aquarium salt :( They have a huge stock of other fish stuff so I bought some water conditioner as you advised and some medicine. It's called Ektol cristal, it treats various infections and parasites. It seemed to be the best option. I just put it in his water about an hour ago so we'll see...I have to repeat every two days for a week.

As for Turtle, he is pretty much the same. His gills still look funny. I THINK the bump on his forehead is very slightly smaller. On a more positive note, his eye that had popped out is completely better now. Good as new.

Hope he'll be ok...
Old 04-05-2010, 01:52 PM   #18 
Turtle

One more thing... I do full water changes every 2-3 days... Is this actually good or bad? I have been so obsessed researching Betta fish over the last few days that i have read up WAY too much contradicting information. I'm lost