Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-03-2010, 08:39 PM   #11 
kuklachica

Flaring refers to both flaring out the gills AND puffing up their tail.

example, my guy, Wally:

Not flaring:

Flaring his tail, but not his gills:

Don't have a pic of wally flaring his gills. Here is my guy Cielo flaring both his gills and tail:

Your guy does either have fin rot or has been biting his tail. Tails do not normally look like that. You should add about a tsp. of aquarium salt per gallon and keep the water around 82ish until you start to see re-growth.
kuklachica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 08:42 PM   #12 
DarthMaul
Banned

well, the pix i have seen of fin rot look NOTHING like my new guy. But if he INDEED has fin rot, he is going back tomorrow. I am tired of buying bettas and then they end up being sick, have SBD and now maybe fin rot... =[ that's just MY LUCK with bettas the past few weeks *sighs*
DarthMaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 08:42 PM   #13 
DarthMaul
Banned

salt was already added, i always add it in
Old 04-03-2010, 08:45 PM   #14 
kuklachica

As long as you treat the fin rot it will not kill him. If he bites his tail (like all of my HMs do) then you will just have to figure out what makes him bite and change that. Or live with his biting and make sure it does not become infected.

I would suggest only buying the most healthy looking bettas.

I would also suggest writing to Petco's customer service. My Petco had some poor-looking bettas around Christmas. I wrote to their customer service, got a response within a week, then a call from the manager, and since then they have taken great care of their bettas.
Old 04-03-2010, 08:45 PM   #15 
xxabc

DarthMaul, SBD and Finrot are no where close to diseases. It's like getting a paper cut on your skin. They're little tiny things and honestly, no reason to be returned to the store because they're quite easy to take care of (for me anyways).

And whenever you buy a betta, the chances it is sick is almost guaranteed. Just a pet-store betta for ya.
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 08:47 PM   #16 
kuklachica

xxabc is right. It would be like getting a dog or cat from a kennel or even a friend and returning it because it had fleas. it just comes with territory, and can easily be cared for.
Old 04-03-2010, 08:50 PM   #17 
DarthMaul
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuklachica View Post
As long as you treat the fin rot it will not kill him. If he bites his tail (like all of my HMs do) then you will just have to figure out what makes him bite and change that. Or live with his biting and make sure it does not become infected.

I would suggest only buying the most healthy looking bettas.

I would also suggest writing to Petco's customer service. My Petco had some poor-looking bettas around Christmas. I wrote to their customer service, got a response within a week, then a call from the manager, and since then they have taken great care of their bettas.
i JUST got him tonight, how on earth am i suppose to know if he is a tail biter? I mean he seems like he is happy in his new home so far. Sadly, he was the healthiest looking one =[ I will let the manager know what's up, don't worry about that lol
Old 04-03-2010, 08:52 PM   #18 
DarthMaul
Banned

well i am sorry that buying a new betta that seems to maybe have fin rot and the other one might have SBD makes me mad. I have had the WORST luck with bettas this past month and i'd rather return them, than have them die in my care. Has anyone lost 4 bettas at once in less than a week and a couple at the same time before that? So you can see why i'd rather get a refund. I did not pay $13.99 for a betta with fin rot. I can go back and get another one
Old 04-03-2010, 08:52 PM   #19 
kuklachica

I suggested tail biting because he either has rot or has been biting. A lot of times they will bite when they are stressed (being in a small container, dirty water, aroudn other fish). I am mentioning this so you can keep an eye out for it, if, in fact, he is a biter. To me, it looks like bite marks.
Old 04-03-2010, 08:52 PM   #20 
DarthMaul
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuklachica View Post
xxabc is right. It would be like getting a dog or cat from a kennel or even a friend and returning it because it had fleas. it just comes with territory, and can easily be cared for.

sorry, but that is a bad analogy, just saying haha