Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-04-2010, 02:34 AM   #21 
soleilvie

When it's cycled, there is no need to clean the gravel and plants or anything so just take out 25% of the water (leaving the rest in the tank) and put 25% fresh, conditioned water (of the same temperature) back in the tank.
soleilvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 02:41 AM   #22 
Kittles

In addition to the college thread you've started, you might find this thread to be of some value as it relates: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=39937

I hope it's able to answer some of your questions / inspire you if you've not read it already.
Kittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 02:46 AM   #23 
betta1485

Thanks everyone for your help. I bought my little betta right after I took two crazy exam on Thursday (I go to an academically intense university). It was kind of random and at first I kind of regretted it because I didn't factor in the time it would take to maintain and care for my fish. But I've gotten attached to it. I'm pretty sure someone at my school has like a 10 gallon tank somewhere. The girl who works at the pet store went to my school and she said she had a friend who had over 5 different types of animals (iguanas, gerbils, hamsters, etc.) and I've heard of people having animals they're not suppose to have (cat, dogs etc.)
betta1485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 02:50 AM   #24 
Kittles

Haha, yeah. They can be a bit of a chore sometimes, but they're so fun to have around. Their personalities are priceless - I've just discovered that Roy Cherry, who I thought was the most passive betta ever, will actually flare... but only at my Rubik's Cube.
Old 04-04-2010, 02:52 AM   #25 
betta1485

Quote:
Originally Posted by soleilvie View Post
When it's cycled, there is no need to clean the gravel and plants or anything so just take out 25% of the water (leaving the rest in the tank) and put 25% fresh, conditioned water (of the same temperature) back in the tank.

I think I'm going to cycle my tank then. It would make it easier.
Old 04-04-2010, 03:00 AM   #26 
betta1485

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittles View Post
Haha, yeah. They can be a bit of a chore sometimes, but they're so fun to have around. Their personalities are priceless - I've just discovered that Roy Cherry, who I thought was the most passive betta ever, will actually flare... but only at my Rubik's Cube.
Yeah mine likes to stare at me when I do my homework and he likes follows my finger. He's really fiesty too. I think I'm going to call him Rambo but i feel like i need a name that relates to being very fiesty.
Old 04-04-2010, 12:06 PM   #27 
xxabc

(Btw I'm a girl ;) )

Well I don't do 100% but mines is cycled, so... But have you invested in a gravel vacuum / siphon / gravel cleaner ? It makes life easier, going through the gravel and everything, instead of going back and forth with a cup that will fit in a 5 gallon.

Soleilvie, I get what you're saying about it being easier, but yeah I was leaning with what Kittles said about the ammonia and whatnot. With a siphon it should be much easier - how are you doing your water changes, exactlY? (betta1485)
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 06:31 PM   #28 
Kittles

Quote:
(Btw I'm a girl ;) )
Lol >_>

Also, nice mention of the gravel vac - I completely spaced on that, but it would definitely make any cleanings easier. Cycled or not.
Old 04-04-2010, 10:17 PM   #29 
betta1485

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxabc View Post
(Btw I'm a girl ;) )

Well I don't do 100% but mines is cycled, so... But have you invested in a gravel vacuum / siphon / gravel cleaner ? It makes life easier, going through the gravel and everything, instead of going back and forth with a cup that will fit in a 5 gallon.

Soleilvie, I get what you're saying about it being easier, but yeah I was leaning with what Kittles said about the ammonia and whatnot. With a siphon it should be much easier - how are you doing your water changes, exactlY? (betta1485)
A gravel vacuum/siphon would make life easier....i guess I have to buy that at the pet store on Friday....I just got the tank last Friday so I didn't do any water changes yet...its going to be impossible if I dont get a bucket and a gravel vacuum.....Will my betta be okay if I hold off changing the water until Friday or Saturday?
Old 04-04-2010, 10:19 PM   #30 
betta1485

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxabc View Post
(Btw I'm a girl ;) )
Wait, is my betta a boy or a girl?