Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-03-2010, 10:00 PM   #1 
ecoprincess

Is my new tank too crowded?

Hi!

So if you check my "before" pics....i have moved my betta from the 1/2 gal wall mounted (no heat) tank into a roomy 5gal heated tank. Im VERY new to the proper care of my betta and want to make sure im doing it right. Awhile back when i first got Freddy i asked how much coverage is ok. The answer then was 1/2. So i went out and got a fake plant (until i get experienced enough to cycle my tank and get real plants) and some "caves"

I will post a pic......can u plse let me know if this is good enough coverage for my betta.

Also....im POSITIVE he has fin rot....so im working on that. He lost a LOT of colour in the year he was in the 1/2 gal. Since i have moved him in the 5gal....it seems as tho he is no longer "grey" but his blue is coming back but with a LOT of black. Is this a good sign or did i add too much salt? I did about 2/3 fresh water and 1/3 diluted salt water.

Also....quick question about cycling. The fish guy @ petsmart said to cycle all i had to add was a few drops from this bottle called "bacteria" and said that even if i cycle i dont need a filter. True or not so much?

Thanks so much for your patience and help. My addiction is developing with the new understanding of how to care for my betta grows. :) <3
Attached Images

ecoprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 11:15 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

Here is a very informative sticky on cycling. Hopefully it will answer some of your questions. I don't think that "bacteria" stuff will help cycle your tank. You will definitely need a filter to cycle your tank. Some of your beneficial bacteria will live in the filter.
It sounds to me like your fish is coloring up now thast he is living in a bigger tank. That's a good sign.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 11:21 PM   #3 
ecoprincess

Do you think there is too much plant coverage?
ecoprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 11:27 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

You mean what you have in there now? I think what you have in there now is fine. Your tank looks good. :)
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 06:50 AM   #5 
Romad
TFK Moderator

That looks good to me.

Hope you can get rid of that fin rot. Just be patient and keep the water as clean as possible.
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote