Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-04-2010, 12:43 PM   #71 
Oldfishlady

If he is bloating every time he is fed and then having problems swimming, it most likely is the swim bladder, either he has an infection in the duct or he has a deformed swim bladder, shortened swim bladder this can happen as a fry and they can recover only for it to return as an adult.
Next time this happens add 1tsp/gal epsom salt, raise the temp to 80-82F, he may even need antibiotic if it is an infection in the duct area.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 12:54 PM   #72 
DarthMaul
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
If he is bloating every time he is fed and then having problems swimming, it most likely is the swim bladder, either he has an infection in the duct or he has a deformed swim bladder, shortened swim bladder this can happen as a fry and they can recover only for it to return as an adult.
Next time this happens add 1tsp/gal epsom salt, raise the temp to 80-82F, he may even need antibiotic if it is an infection in the duct area.
Wellthat is what happens after he is fed, but then it goes away. Besides the warm water salt, what do I use to treat? :(
DarthMaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 02:58 PM   #73 
Oldfishlady

Chronic swim bladder issues I treat with Epsom salt 1tsp/gal, daily 50% water changes, warmer water for 10 days every 30 days. I also change their diet to live foods and my homemade food, feeding very small amounts 1 time per day every other day.
Depending on what size tank the fish is in I also increase their regular water change schedule...example...I normally do 50% water changes twice a week on my 1-6g betta tanks, for chronic swim bladder I will increase that to every other day 50% water changes along with the 10d per month of daily water changes and Epsom salt dosage.
I only treat with natural treatment, rarely do I use the OTC medication, however, the sound of what is going on with your fish he may have an advanced case and the duct my be infected, treating him with a broad spectrum antibiotic may be needed at this point.
The Epsom salt will help with symptoms by reducing the edema/swelling and help him pass stool easier, epson salt also has an antibacterial/fungal properties but it is limited once the pathogens have advanced.
Old 04-04-2010, 03:03 PM   #74 
mysquishy

Awww... how stressful. The epsom salt is a good idea but it can sometimes be stressful. It might be something you can try though. I gave my little guy tiny bits of the inside of a frozen pea and it helped clean out his system and he is getting better from his swim bladder problem.
mysquishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 09:27 PM   #75 
DarthMaul
Banned

sorry, but i am seriously struggling with HOW this is SBD... when i do not feed him, he does NOT bloat... when i do feed him, which is next to NOTHING... he bloats for a few hours, has a hard time swimming and then it goes away when he poops ( his poo looks normal for those who are going to ask ) Maybe an expert can explain to me how this is SBD? He was bloated for a few hours again last night, but it went away over night and he still looks fine. Also, i am hearing 2 different methods to treat SBD... people come on, you have to see why i sometimes get frustrated... i am being told natural is the best way and avoid meds at all cost and i am also being told meds are the way to go. I refuse to pick one over the other and kill my fish b/c i chose one over the other. Sorry, but it CANT be both, so which is ACTUALLY better? Can anyone honestly blame me for getting frustrated?
Old 04-04-2010, 09:41 PM   #76 
DarthMaul
Banned

also he has NO problems with swimming when he is not bloated. I was under the impression swimming issues is a sign of SBD... he has trouble swimming when he is bloated which is after he eats, not any other time
Old 04-04-2010, 10:24 PM   #77 
Oldfishlady

The food could be putting pressure on his swim bladder, I do not think he has swim bladder disease, but I do think he has either a short or deformed swim bladder or the duct could be swollen from either the pressure, constriction, infection that is causing the symptoms you are seeing.
There is NO way you are ever going to get a 100% diagnosis...NO way can a fish be 100% diagnosised over the internet....All we can do is give our "best guess" from the information YOU provide us, sometimes we get good pics but most time we don't....we deal with people that can not give 100% of the needed information....or don't know how to describe the issues that are going on..We do our best from our personal experiences...There are many ways to treat these kind of issues....Both can be correct just different ways to approach...

We are not "Fish Vets" we are hobbyist and these are our opinions........
Old 04-04-2010, 10:31 PM   #78 
DarthMaul
Banned

again i ask.. what is the best and the CORRECT way... natural or meds? It cant be both, sorry, but it cant be..
Old 04-04-2010, 10:32 PM   #79 
DarthMaul
Banned

well, i presoaked ONE pellet and fed him an hour ago and he has yet to bloat like the last 2 times. can this be explained?
Old 04-04-2010, 10:41 PM   #80 
DarthMaul
Banned

one kills the fish and one helps it.... I have heard both sides and again... i refuse to pick one over the other and risk killing him =[ that's basically playing 50/50 with my fishes life