Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-07-2013, 05:47 PM   #1 
LadyNightraven

Betta getting stuck in filter inflow

What would be the best way to cover or baffle the inflow of an Aquarius Mini Might Power Filter?

I happened to glance at Rakki's tank today, and he was against the filter and flailing like he couldn't break free. I quickly unplugged the filter long enough for him to swim away from the inflow. His fins are looking fairly tattered, too, especially his tail. I don't think the current from the outflow is an issue for him because he seems to know how to stay out of it already and I've seen him play in it a few times, but the inflow appears to be a problem.

Does anyone have any temporary or permanent solutions I can try? I was going to check my local pet store for aquarium sponge on Monday, but if I can take care of this sooner, I'd be really grateful.
LadyNightraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 07:39 PM   #2 
Betta Nut

Couldn't find any pictures of it that show where the intake is, but I'll guess it's at the bottom somewhere. If you have an old pair of panty hose or something with a similar nylon mesh, I'd cut out a square that would cover the intake and put a rubberband around the body of the filter to hold it in place.
I'm no expert, but seems like this could be an easy and effective solution.
Betta Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 10:46 PM   #3 
gracierat

I use these for my in-take on my HOB filters http://www.amazon.com/Pre-Filter-Spo...efilter+sponge
I just slip them over the in-take tube, works really well. and adds a media for bacteria to colonize!
gracierat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 07:13 PM   #4 
LadyNightraven

After taking the filter out to look at it, I figured out the inflow in the back is what Rakki kept getting stuck on. After him managing to get himself stuck four times in one day, we ended up using pantyhose to cover the inflow and block him from getting behind the filter again. I think he was a little upset that we did it because he swam over to inspect our handiwork a few times, and once I even spotted him trying to get back there and then seeming to decide wasn't worth it. I really think he thought it was a game. Thanks for the tips, Betta Nut and gracierat.
LadyNightraven is offline   Reply With Quote