Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-04-2010, 10:51 PM   #11 
betta1485

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinn View Post
We have a Petco I can try to get there, its not SO close to me so making time is the problem. How much "greenery" is good for a Betta for hiding and such?
How far do you live from 14st. Union Square in Manhattan...there is a Petco there. The 4, 5, and Q trains stop there.
betta1485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 11:10 PM   #12 
Quinn

Thats the one I'm talking about. I've lived in NYC my whole life so I know how to get there

I actually live in Brooklyn though. So no its not REALLY far from me, its just finding the time to take to actually go and shop. I might just order the stuff online if need be. Gotta get a tank first though!

Are you in NYC too?
Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 12:10 AM   #13 
betta1485

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinn View Post
Are you in NYC too?
im from brooklyn too but right now i go to college upstate NY.
betta1485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 04:49 PM   #14 
Quinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by betta1485 View Post
im from brooklyn too but right now i go to college upstate NY.
Oh cool!

Anyway going to go try and talk to them about getting all these supplies. Its all so expensive, and for one fish! Geez! Hopefully they will at least get him some stuff. Because I really can't afford to be spending money when I've got my own pets to worry about right now...
Old 04-05-2010, 05:18 PM   #15 
xxabc

Nobody who has succcessfully owned fish ever said they were cheap :)

Hopefully you can save up some money for him as you go along as well. Good luck!
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 06:20 PM   #16 
Quinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxabc View Post
Nobody who has succcessfully owned fish ever said they were cheap :)

Hopefully you can save up some money for him as you go along as well. Good luck!

Yeah I know I just didn't realize HOW expensive they were. Everything adds up real quick!
And honestly I'm trying to do right by Mr. Frankie but I just can't be spending my money on him when it should be going towards my own pets care. It's not that I don't care (clearly I do I joined a Betta forum!) its just that I have 3 dogs, and unfortunately don't have a money tree growing in my yard. So far trying to get everything I feel he should have initially is coming out to like $100 (although I'm trying for some things on CL so maybe that could go down). And I'm just doubting that my mother/sister have that money to spend on him. I so wish pet stores wouldn't sell people Bettas and say they are easy you just stick them in a bowl! They do now feel bad since I've been explaining some about proper care, but don't have extra cash to shell out... Hopefully my CL deals will work out tough!
Old 04-05-2010, 06:26 PM   #17 
xxabc

If you really feel you ARE in trouble, rehoming is on option (although very difficult sometimes). Again, good luck! Hopefully CL helps a bunch, it usually does for me.
Old 04-05-2010, 07:55 PM   #18 
Quinn

I found a tank, an 8 gallon BiOrb, that apparently is already cycled (I have no fish knowledge so I don't know if its ok to buy an established tank). It is "with or without 2 goldfish". I'm pretty sure Betta's can't live with goldfish, and aren't they supposed to get large? So I would be asking for it without the fish. I'd need to buy a heater, and maybe a few things to put in it. It also comes with some Java Fern. Now I've also never done plant care, but my understanding is they are easy to deal with and don't require much specialized care/ good for beginners. This will be an 8 year olds set up, but obviously I will try to help as much as I can, but that means it can't be anything TOO complicated.

Basically I want to know
a) is it ok to buy a cycled tank / what are the risks vs benefits
b) is a BiOrb an OK tank to use both in its quality and its suitability for a betta (if anyone has one I'd love to see your set up)
c) Am I correct in thinking having a Java Fern in Frankies set up wouldn't make it a billion times harder or more expensive.

THANKS!
Old 04-05-2010, 08:09 PM   #19 
soleilvie

A BiOrb?! Aren't those like $200? Your setup sounds like it's going to be beautiful.
soleilvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 08:14 PM   #20 
xxabc

I've heard bad things about the BiOrb, but I don't know what.

I'm assuming the price is okay for you, then? Bettas cannot live with goldfish. IMO the temperature is one of the main issues, and its possible for some hostiliity between the two, maybe?

I heard java fern is plain indestructible, haha. I would recommend getting it, with basic reseaerch.

I don't know how it's cycled. How are they selling it to you? Is it still filled with water, or is the gravel / filter cartridge still wet? I would be uncomfortable, but definitely ask them how they cycled it, and how they intend to keep it cycled (the beneficial bactera can die if exposed to air, run under tap water, with other various measures).

b) Again, I've heard bad things about the BiOrb, and spherical tanks, but not sure what. Just thought I'd tell you. Size-wise, it's nice ;)

c) Again, I hear java fern is about indestructible. Just the utmost basic care should be known (how not to kill it).