Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-04-2010, 10:34 AM   #21 
MrVampire181

Ok lemme just say what I do to see if it will help.

My setup is a 5 or 10 gallon tank filled halfway, my heater is on the floor in the corner and my corner filter is just above the heater. My live plants are mixed in with plastic ones and my styro cup is on the opposite end from the heater. I use Stress Coat, Stress Zyme, and Nutrafin Betta Max for water conditioners. I don't use salt. I put my bettas in and within 3 days I have a spawn :) .
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 10:48 AM   #22 
Foxers

is a Styrofoam cup necessary? because my currant set up, my betta has a huge nest (which im very proud of) im just nervous to let the female in, she doesnt seem very big at the moment. And i do have lots of live plants in my tank, so lots of places to hide. Should i just let her in now?
Foxers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 11:23 AM   #23 
MrVampire181

Styro cups aren't so if your male already has anest don't add one. I'd release her. She dosent have to be big to breed.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 05:27 PM   #24 
Foxers

i released the female around 6 hours ago, still no progress, he's just chasing and nipping her =(
Old 04-04-2010, 07:26 PM   #25 
doggyhog

That's completely normal. :)
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 08:46 AM   #26 
Foxers

i guess all i can do is wait now heh
Old 04-05-2010, 10:19 AM   #27 
Foxers

Update- he tried to embrace her but she wasnt having it, she swam away DX whyyyy berry- whyy?
Old 04-05-2010, 04:28 PM   #28 
Foxers

Second update- i took berry out because a) he made a big gash in her tail and b) he messed up his nest =< but im not giving up! try #8 underway
Old 04-05-2010, 07:42 PM   #29 
Oldfishlady

As long as you have plenty of hiding places for the female to get away from the male to rest I would leave them together until they spawn, you can expect some nipped fins in the process with some breeders.

If she appears stressed or she is hiding and panting you will need to remove her, otherwise leave them together.
When spawning in a 10g with lots of hiding places and mass areas of either fake or real plants so that it is hard for the male to get through...all should be fine.

I would remove him now too and make a 50% water change, feed both really good and start again tomorrow, also destroy his nest so he has to make it over again and put them back in at the same time, sometimes raising the temp up to 82-84F until they spawn can help too and then lower it back to 78-80F once he has the eggs so not to hatch to fast and get weak fry.

It can take several attempts and as long as neither are too stressed from one being too aggressive you will get some missing fin pieces but nothing so severe that it can't be healed in a day or so with some clean fresh water.

Give them some time as long as she has a place to get away from him nature will take care of her......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 07:56 PM   #30 
Foxers

Okay =D i put him into a separate jar with some betta revive and and water conditioner. and i let my mom feed them some bloodworms, since im allergic. And i turned up the heater, and broke up his nest, or what was left of it. Thank you all so much for the help, ill let you know what happens next.

Tags
breeding beta halfmoon