Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-06-2010, 11:52 PM   #1 
ilysharkbait

what type of tank do i need to get?

I'm new to the world of bettas. I just got sharkbait about two weeks ago. I've had a betta before, but not that successfully. Right now Sharkbait is in a small, probably a little less than a gallon bowl. The second i put him in it he loved it though, blowing bubble nests and constantly laying in his "betta bed". I'm looking to get a filtered tank, preferrably no more that 5 gallons and not that expensive. do you recommend any? if so, how often to i change the filters and when do i do a water change?
ilysharkbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 12:11 AM   #2 
ilysharkbait

ahh and is a heater a good idea? my friend doesnt have one, she just has a 2 gallon filtered tank and hers is doing well. but i want whats best for my betta, i just dont know what that is.
Old 04-07-2010, 01:01 AM   #3 
xxabc

Definitely strive for the biggest tank you can get. 5 gallons is great for a betta. You can buy one secondhand (you WILL have to clean it well, haha) for very very cheap. If you have a Walmart, they sell 5 gallons AND *adjustable heaters. For $30. (It comes with other stuff, but the other stuff was deemed useless by me, lol. It includes conditioner, two plants, and food, although I would not use the food).

At the same walmart, they should have Tetra ____ Heaters, for about $12. Cheapest I can find, but they're preset. It does its job, yet not the best. If you have money to burn, i would go steps higher and get adjustable heaters. I want to say heaters are necessary, but will have to instead, say "they're very, very recommended." Bettas are tropical fish, so they naturally live in warm waters (77-80F). IMO 75 is pushing it. And the lower it is, the lower the immune systems of bettas will be, exposing them to being more sickly.

For the tank, you can buy at Craigslist - it seems to prove itself with its amounts of tanks I've seen for sale. And for pretty cheap too.

For the tank itself, I would recommend a fluorescent light bulb. They look fabulous with a tank. Incandescent, not so much. Plus incandescent will heat the water if on too long (even 6 hours, which is less than the average amount of light on. Or so this happened in my 5 gallons). Turning on, then off, will bring too much of a temp. fluctuation.

When I say adjustable filter, I mean just that... a filter with adjustable flow. Bettas cannot swim well against strong current, so minimize enough so that he's not fighting, but that the filter is rendered useless.

I also recommend buying aquarium salt, as it will help you a lot in case your betta gets sick. I prefer this, and CLEAN WATER (water changes) over medications.

You will need water conditioner, but it seems you do have a betta already, so I will assume you have conditioner. If not, if you just leave your water out for 24 hours, then I would highly recommend "Seachem Prime." Works faboo for me.

And when doing water changes, you might want to buy yourself a siphon/gravel cleaner/gravel vacuum (these are all the same, just different names).
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 01:07 AM   #4 
ilysharkbait

thank you so much! that was very helpful :) ill go to walmart today or tomorrow most likely. if i get a preset heater, will the fact that i live in southern california and the summer sun gets my room about 75 on its own cook my fishie? or is the presetting smart enough to turn off?
Old 04-07-2010, 01:19 AM   #5 
ilysharkbait

would this tank be too small?
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Disney-s-L...-Pets/12177654

I love the little mermaid, so it caught my eye. it says it has a filter, and an air pump. i could buy a heater, but would this not be enough space for Sharkbait?
Old 04-07-2010, 02:20 AM   #6 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilysharkbait View Post
would this tank be too small?
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Disney-s-L...-Pets/12177654

I love the little mermaid, so it caught my eye. it says it has a filter, and an air pump. i could buy a heater, but would this not be enough space for Sharkbait?
Is Pitiful for your Betta. You would be hard pressed to find any book on the care of fishes published in the last ten years that would recommend tanks much less than five gal for one Betta.
The larger the enviornment,the more stable the enviornment will be = healthy ,happy fish.
1077 is offline   Reply With Quote