Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-04-2010, 11:13 AM   #1 
ThePearlFish

Ques. about heater

I have a 75 watt heater on one side of my 55g tank and on the other side in one of the 4 divided sections I have another 75w heater. The section that the heater is in is more than 85 degrees warm! but the other sections around that one are at a cooler temp. that I wouldn't worry would fry my fish as it gets hotter in the house cus of the weather. I don't have a fish in the section that has the heater yet, but my question is how do I steady the temp. with a heater on that side of the tank without making any of the four sections too hot or cold? I do have a smaller 50w heater, do you reccomend I try switching that one in instead of the 70 in the divided side?

Thanks! :)

~TPF
ThePearlFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 07:26 PM   #2 
ThePearlFish

bumps! :) any ideas?
Old 04-04-2010, 08:05 PM   #3 
Kittles

Shouldn't the heaters turn off once they reach a certain temperature to prevent this? Do they have dials on the top to adjust how hot they get?

You might be able to get away with putting each heater at 1/3 increments along the back so that they're evenly spaced throughout the tank... unless that's how you've got them already. Might be all about finding the right setting (if they're adjustable).

Really, though, I have no experience with divided tanks so I'm clueless.
Kittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 08:07 PM   #4 
bloo97

I have a quick question:
Can and will they cause fires?
bloo97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 12:36 AM   #5 
doubleatheman

I don't think they will make fires under water. But they willfr the fish if the are malfunctioning. And since your tanks are getting to 85 in the sides something is wrong.

If you have huge temp diffrences in the tank between sections you need more water flow inbetween the sections. The hot water needs to circulate around the tank.
doubleatheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 12:51 AM   #6 
Brains

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloo97 View Post
I have a quick question:
Can and will they cause fires?
I know you can bust the tank if you have them too close to your substrate. Or if you drain the tank and forget to unplug them. The biggest thing you should worry about from a heater is getting shocked or electrocuted. All it takes is a hairline fracture in the glass.
Brains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 08:52 AM   #7 
ThePearlFish

well in this pic:

one heater is in the big section with all the plants. The other is located in the section with the reddish ferns. I am going to try the lower watt heater i also have on the other side (divided section) instead of the bigger one. My worry was also about not only the fish but cracking the tank. it looks like because the house is warmer due to the weather, all sections are in the lower 80's except for the the "autumn ferns section" where the heater is in (which is higher). i think the heat is also evaporating my water fast which is not good cus it exposes the heater to the glass ... :-/

~TPF
Old 04-07-2010, 05:44 AM   #8 
bloo97

what about fires outside of the tank? (Like your house, carpet, Ect.)
bloo97 is offline   Reply With Quote