Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-05-2010, 09:20 PM   #21 
Quinn

The tank currently has water in it still, and 2 goldfish (who I wouldn't be taking). So I assume thats how its still cycled. But I didn't ask HOW they cycled it, maybe I'll do that. Hopefully they don't get so annoyed by my questions they just stop answering ;)

Can you explain to me about having to keep it cycled? And/Or whatever methods you need to use for cleaning it to keep the bacteria.
Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 10:19 PM   #22 
xxabc

Well I'm going to assume there's some kind of filter cartridge in the Bi-Orb, because I doubt it has the regular hang-on-back (HOB). Underground filter?? I somewhat doubt ALL of the bacteria is in the gravel... hmm.

Let's assume they have a filter cartridge. A lot of the beneficial bacteria (BB) will be there, and also in the gravel as well. In the filter cartridge

Do not expose to the air for a long time.
Do not wash under tap water (this is instant kill right here)

In the gravel:

Do not completely stir up 100% of the gravel when cleaning. Only stir up about 50% at most to prevent mini-cycle.
Do not completely change out 100% of the gravel all at once. Preserve some gravel if you do want to change it. Although the filter will keep it very well alive, you may have a mini cycle.

Also, if there is NO ammonia coming in (there is no fish, there is no poop, there is no food, no where ammonia is made) the BB will eventually die off. BB feeds on the ammonia like food. No ammonia = no food. Basic starvation.

I still use a siphon to clean up the gravel, but I do spots at a time. When the siphon is running, I stick that sucker in the gravel, and the gravel stirs around and that "section" is clean (a rather small section). I do this to various spots. It works quite well, and water DOES get sucked as you do this.

If your filter cartridge gets so insanely clogged, messy, etc,during a water change waft around the filter cartridge in the old tank water. Not too fast. Do as long as needed. This is all you should need (I haven't even gotten to this point yet).
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 11:29 AM   #23 
Quinn

Again thanks for your help xxabc!
Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 07:17 PM   #24 
xxabc

No problemo!
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote