Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-14-2013, 07:58 AM   #1 
Taboo

Gender, type and colour questions

...and also photos galore, so I thought I should share this in the pictures section :P

Firstly, I bought a young female labelled as a HM a couple of weeks ago, but since her (slightly ragged) fins have healed up in QT, I'm beginning to suspect she's actually a HMPK. Any thoughts?

(excuse photography - lol)

My second question is this little cutie was purchased by me today :) For sale as a plakat male, I bought presuming PK female, but am now thinking long-finned HM female. However, she has one helluva beard that is puzzling me.

I bought another "male PK" today (sale on at LFS :P ) and thought I'd share a snap or two. It was when her and the above fish flared at each other that I noticed this one has considerably less 'beard', even in full flare.

And lastly, here's a Delta I've had for a few months, and wondering if it's possible that it's a marble gene causing her changes in scaling? She's lost a lot of her red and the dragon scaling has grown. I may be biased, but I think she's pretty cute!

(at the cessation of her quarantine)

(taken a few days ago)

And, just for cutesies... my littlest HM caught mid-yawn :3

Taboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 09:12 AM   #2 
RainbowhLizzie

I am not able to chime in help as I am just learning muself, but that yawn is just soo...... *screams* ADORABLE!!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
RainbowhLizzie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 05:21 PM   #3 
Fenghuang

All of them look female to me.

Your Delta female is a Cambodian dragon. She only has patches of scales because she is a partial dragon.

The one that you suspect is a long-fin and a male because of her full beard looks a lot like one of my female HMPK. My HMPK has a pretty full beard when she flares too, but next to her male sibling (who is her exact twin in colouration), it's obvious. Plus, males typically have much longer ventral fins, and your female has fairly short ones. She might be a long-fin though.

Last edited by Fenghuang; 12-14-2013 at 05:24 PM.
Fenghuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 06:11 PM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

First girl is a regular HM girl, not PK. The second girl also just looks like an HM, she's quite beautiful though! And yes the little blue "male pk" is a girl The delta girl is definitely a marble.

Feng, did you see the second picture of the girl? She's no longer Cambodian, I would just call her Red Marble Dragon. She could have been young and her scales still filling in, she's still only a partial Dragon but it could still fill in more over time And I love that last pic, reminds me of a my late girl Lady Deathstrike who I have a picture that is almost identical to yours!
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 02:20 AM   #5 
Taboo

Thanks guys :)

I was pretty convinced I had purchased all females so I'm glad I've got some agreement! I could see ovipositers, that's why I brought them home, but miss #2 was so aggressive and had that bigger beard which confused me. I also thought maybe a male could have short ventrals if there was a dietary deficiency while she was growing...Either way, I am glad my hunch was correct and I think she's quite attractive and not bad for $10 where I'm from lol. Wasn't worried about the blue "male PK", she had no features that made me think male, even at the LFS Very cute, can't wait till she's out of QT!

Also nice to know the first girl isn't a PK :) Out of curiosity lilnaugrim, how did you confirm this? I was looking at her anal fin and overall shorter fins than the other female HMs I have (but thinking a little harder, she's also younger...derp).

Also, as for miss dragon-whatsits, she does seem to be cambodian (under her dragonscales she's very much flesh coloured), but is it possible to have a marble cambo? Logically I can see the marbling only being expressed in the fins, which is I guess what's happening, plus the dragon "growing" as she ages. I am looking at her this second and she has very little red left in her fins (bar the caudal which is 50/50) and mostly dragon scaling over her body with a partial mask. I'm definitely finding all this genetics/colouration research great fun hahaha

Lilnaugrim, I'm going to have to hunt down that photo if it's posted here somewhere! Sounds cute as. Sadly this girl has since had the dragon scaling grow over her eyes, but she doesn't seem to have limited eyesight and is really brightening up my sorority. Thanks Lizzie :D my favourite snap of her by far haha
Old 12-15-2013, 09:26 AM   #6 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

PK's tend to have stockier bodies and more streamlined for the females. Regular HM/VT/CT are more slender usually, although there are times when it will always be difficult to tell. To me she just looks like a regular HM since I've had a few myself.

Ovipositers aren't always a good way to tell sex unfortunately as males generally have a fake ovipositer which can get really confusing lol. So I look for the ovaries behind the stomach, they are cone shaped. So that's what I look for. It is possible for a male to have shorter ventrals of course! It all depends on breeding and whatnot and of course deficiencies and if they aren't fed the correct foods and more. It's all a factor!

Haha, I have it right here actually!

And I also had a female who looked very similar to your girl too, her name was Jewel who was sister to Lady Deathstrike above there.

They had another sister as well, a while dragon girl named Emma Frost
Old 12-15-2013, 11:08 PM   #7 
Taboo

haha that yawn is too cute! I'm surprised at how similar those photos are...and I thought mine was rare lol

Thanks for the heads up. I'll have to study more pictures of PKs and take note of their body shapes haha. Can you see the ovaries in any of the pictures on this thread? I'm having a hard time imagining being able to see them!

Loving your little blue! She is so damn cute. It's awesome how the bubbles in that photo have formed a ring around her eye.

Did you spawn those three yourself?
Old 12-16-2013, 07:57 AM   #8 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

I wish I did but alas I don't have the time to commit to a spawn. They were from one of my really good LFS's, I was there when the shipment came in ^_^

As for ovaries, here's a pic of one of my older girl's; Pineapple. I've outlined the ovaries in red so you can see. Before them is the circular stomach of which I didn't outline and behind is the swim bladder.

And original pic so you can see easier.
Old 12-18-2013, 11:40 PM   #9 
Taboo

righto! Whilst I see it on her, I doubt I'd have as much success on one of my darker bettas. But that's good to know, thankyou
Old 12-19-2013, 07:47 AM   #10 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yeah it takes some practice to see it in darker colored girls. For that I tend to look for the shape of the ovaries rather then their outline or anything, especially if they're eggy it's easier to tell