Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-05-2010, 05:05 PM   #11 
xxabc

Don't forget, when you do the water changes for the time being, make sure it's warm enough for him. Don't give him cold water, that will never help. You may need to buy yourself a cheap $1 thermometer for this to help. Also, again, try to keep him warm.

I don't know how colleges work, but is there someway you can hide him in a second? (get a cardboard box, cut the bottom, and throw it into the tank and just make it look like a box)? Or have a place where the RA won't check? And how often do they check as well, or is it sometimes super-random?
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 11:40 AM   #12 
kazuzoo

It's random checks, she just walks in whenever. If the betta fish has a box over it.. wont they need sunlight?
kazuzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 12:41 PM   #13 
Mitsufishi

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazuzoo View Post
It's random checks, she just walks in whenever. If the betta fish has a box over it.. wont they need sunlight?

Nope, keeping a betta in direct sunlight is a No No. If you have a desk lamp, that'll be fine on a schedule. Most bettas 'de-stress" in a dark place, so it will probably be very good for him.
Mitsufishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 01:33 AM   #14 
phisch

I hope your fish is better. I wanted to mention about the brightly colored gravel. My fish is in natural gravel with neutral tones, has a live peace lily (green) and a plastic betta hammock (green). He loves the hammock and also the thermometer that is on the side as he can perch on both. I thought his landscape was bland so I tried to introduce a plastic plant that has bright colors especially yellow with some accents of green, purple and orange on it. I placed it to the side of the tank (outside) and he was very stressed - swam away and was clearly agitated all afternoon. I removed the plant and he was immediately fine. I have never seen him behave that way before. I have put it away and am settling for the drab interior he loves.
phisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 02:29 AM   #15 
Blue Fish

I know this post is old, but I wanted to second Phisch on their experience with bright colors. Mine have never cared, but I had a friend who had a betta in a small tank at work on her desk, and he'd "fight" with any red or royal blue object put near his tank. Even red pens, if Beth was writing with one and he could see it, he'd fight with it the entire time she used it.
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote