Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-16-2013, 10:07 AM   #1 
MsAqua

My New Little One [Baby Betta]

Me, my fiance, and a friend of ours made a trip out to a big shopping area yesterday. I made them take me to the Petco there. My godddddd. There were so many GORGEOUS bettas. There was a delta tail I loved. A dumbo elephant ear. Two double tails. A beautiful halfmoon. So many tail types I've never seen at the Petsmart I visited. And all of them were well taken care of. I took a peek in on the baby bettas too. I was not too thrilled. They had four babies there. The one had a lot of coloring to it and was clearly older than the others. Two were just starting to color up but were still pretty small. Then the fourth, I couldn't leave there. It's so tiny and hasn't colored up at all yet. I think it was too young to be there. So for $1.99 I picked up the baby in the hopes of raising it and getting it out of that cup. I was going to pick up the other four too but I'm already at my limits with tanks now that I have this baby.
It's adorable, that's for sure. And looking at the tips of its fins, it's a crowntail. The ends sort of branch off like the fins of my females CTs in my sorority. But we shall see. I'm trying my darndest with this one and monitoring the water temperature. I have little heaters that I could use to temporarily heat up the water but since I didn't completely fill the 1 gallon it's in, I wouldn't be able to keep it plugged in for long for fear of frying the poor baby.
One question I did have though is what to feed it. I'll put pics below of the little thing. I have the pellets I use with all my adults. Bloodworms, daphnia, mysis (?), little shrimp pieces, and flakes. And I know I need to cut up alot of it so it'll fit in it's mouth.
I've been cutting up a pellet into little pieces and dropping it in. What I've seen it do is grab a piece and look like it'll eat it, then spit it right back up. And it'll avoid any pieces too big for it.
So I'm not sure if it is eating them or not. So I wanted some recommendations, pleaseeeeee.

Attached Images

MsAqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 10:18 AM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Frozen foods are great if you can get them, brine shrimp should be small enough he can eat them or at least attempt. Same with Daphnia. You can use anything really as long as it's high quality. Make sure to feed him at least three times a day to ensure healthy growth and change his water at least 50% if not 100% daily ^_^

And he's going to be a boy VT. He's not CT for sure, his tail looks like one of my baby VT's when I got him but he had more ray's sticking out. Also for now he's cellophane but he could be a marble and turn out something completely different ^_^
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 10:29 AM   #3 
MsAqua

You cannot see the branching at the tips of his tail that I was talking about in those photos dear. The pics aren't close enough and good enough quality to show what I'm seeing and why I said CT. But we'll just have to see.
Ok. I'll try out all the different types of food I have.
Indeed. It has some small, dark spots starting to show on it's fins. I'm not sure if I could get my camera to focus in enough to show them. But we'll see what happens. :)
Old 12-16-2013, 10:37 AM   #4 
AAquarist

Oh he's precious :) Love his coloring! I've never had a baby Betta, so I can't help you much with what they eat. All I know is I think he has a better shot with you than he did in that tiny cup!
AAquarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 10:40 AM   #5 
MsAqua

I had told my fiance I was done buying bettas. Cuz the only empty tank I have was going to serve as a hospital tank for the sorority. And he keeps saying I have enough.
I begged him to at least take this one and he was like "Ooook. If you think it'll make the drive, you can have just this one." I was so happy. :D
Old 12-17-2013, 08:29 PM   #6 
DalphiaRose

So cute!
DalphiaRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 09:20 PM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

He/she is adorable!
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 09:44 AM   #8 
MsAqua

Some updated pics of the baby from yesterday. It had splotches of dark coloring on its fins at one point but those have since disappeared. It has a blue/purple iridescence now, which only the flash picked up. It's fins have definitely grown so I'm curious if anyone can tell it's gender for sure yet. Haha. But there's a before and after image too.
But I'm honestly not sure myself on it's gender. :S
Attached Images

Last edited by MsAqua; 01-03-2014 at 09:47 AM.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:52 AM   #9 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Cutie! Well the body looks female to me but the fact there are no ovaries suggests male. The tail is still growing out which also suggests male but I've seen some pretty long finned females lately so I'm not sure lol.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 12:49 AM   #10 
oceanbetta11

awwwww so cute

good luck
oceanbetta11 is offline   Reply With Quote