Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-07-2010, 06:10 PM   #1 
3ltonWorri3s

Crumbled tail fin :(

Okay, So I've noticed that my new betta has a crumbled top fin!!!!! What is up with this!?!? It used to be so beautiful and now .... ugh. Please anyone, let me know if this is something to worry about.

I didn't feel like searching through the forum for anything like this .... I was to lazy. =P

Thanks for any help in advance!!!!
3ltonWorri3s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 07:40 PM   #2 
xxabc

What is "crumbled" exactly? Does it look like the fins were ripped? Torn? Or curled up? Maybe fin rot, but you're not mentioning any deterioration or black edgings...

Just do good water changes, and aquarium salt for up to 10 days and she should be fine :)
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 08:52 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

Agree with xxabc, lot of water changes daily for at least 10 days...best medication for fish IMO/E....daily of at least 50% and then stay with regular water change of 50% twice weekly in 6g or less and more in 3g or less with or without filtration......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 09:19 PM   #4 
3ltonWorri3s

Okay thanks! I'll do that.

They're curled up. :/ He isn't doing anything different. Like, personality wise. Sooo, yeah. I'll do the water changes and see if it gets better.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:08 PM   #5 
1fish2fish

What size tank is he in? Do you know the pH and hardness of your water? It could be the water is hard and is causing his fin to curl. My old guy Fish has a curled dorsal fin.. I assume its due to the high levels of ammonia he was subjected to most of his life.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 10:10 PM   #6 
xxabc

One of my bettas came to me with an abnormally curled fin. He was one of the older ones, so I know he's been in there a while. And by "in there", I refer to the death cup and its ammonia.
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 05:23 PM   #7 
3ltonWorri3s

It's a 1 and 1/2 gallon. No, I don't know the pH or the hardness of my water. I do know for a fact though that my water is hard.

If it is the hardness and stuff then wouldn't my other Betta have the same problem?
Old 04-10-2010, 05:30 PM   #8 
JamieTron

Tail curling can be caused by improper water conditions, a small living space or it could be a genetic trait. If it is only a 1 gallon tank it may not uncurl, I bought a betta and he was in a 1 gallon and had curled fins but they fixed themselves once I moved him to a new 3 gallon tank.
JamieTron is offline   Reply With Quote