Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-09-2010, 07:38 PM   #1 
puppyrjjkm

Exclamation What to do?

I really want to re-do one of my tanks with black gravel. I have a 10 gallon divided for 2 male bettas and 3 ADF. Then I also have 5 gallon I'm not using (and will most likely be taking to college). And I want to get another boy . So should I redo my 10 gallon with black gravel and divide into 3 with one betta and frog in each? Or just setup my 5 gallon and do it with black gravel, with the new guy? The only thing is aren't ADF's social creatures, so they do better in groups? I don't know they only seem social when they are fighting at feeding time So what do you guys think? What would you do? I also have a 50 gallon community that I could put the frogs in but they would have competition with food by cories and pleco, or a 29 gal divided into 5 for my other bettas...ugh! Can anyone help me out!? Thanks!
puppyrjjkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 01:44 AM   #2 
Starbright

My friend also thought ADFs are social so she got a few... they never associate with each other and they always hang at opposite ends so I doubt they'll miss each other.

I say it depends on you! Do you mind the extra work, keeping up the 5 gallon as well as your other tanks? If it were me, I'd split the 10 gallon 3 ways... AND get a betta for the 5 gallon (hehe~)
Starbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 04:26 PM   #3 
puppyrjjkm

Thanks! So I redid the 10 gallon with black gravel and it looks AMAZING! :) I'm sooo happy! It's divided into three with 2 of my favorite boys, and room for a new guy :) With one froggie in each section. Everything is going well and I can't wait to get another betta! Yay! Thanks again :)
Old 04-10-2010, 07:56 PM   #4 
xxabc

What did you do with the old gravel? I want to redo to black gravel (hopefully without ruining the cycle), but my parents will KILL me if they found out I dumped the white gravel. A new tank is...not really an option.
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 12:16 PM   #5 
puppyrjjkm

Well I had originally taken the gravel out of our cycled 50 gallon, so I just put it back. But before I remembered that that's where I took the gravel from, I was just going to keep it in an old ice cream container (it's a gallon tub I think). So whenever I needed extra gravel, it was handy.
Old 04-11-2010, 04:05 PM   #6 
mwh9

I have always thought that it was best to match the gravel to the fish color for display reasons.

Besides, black gravel works well with almost any color fish.

Last edited by dramaqueen; 04-11-2010 at 08:23 PM.
mwh9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 04:16 PM   #7 
puppyrjjkm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwh9 View Post
I have always thought that it was best to match the gravel to the fish color for display reasons.
mmmm not necessarily. Most people get whatever gravel they like the best. I have only ever used natural looking gravel, hence for a "natural" looking feel. I've just been seeing other people's tanks with the black gravel and really liked the looks of it. Black gravel really compliments lighter colored bettas, while it would mask the colors of a darker betta.