Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-11-2010, 02:04 PM   #1 
Wed

Angry Jumping betta (picture inside)

Sooo my betta, Ren, is a jumper. He jumps everytime during feeding so I always try to hurry and drop the pellets in before he has a chance to.

Well last night he finally did it, he jumped out the tank. My mom, after struggling a bit since he decided to hold on to the carpet with his mouth, was able to throw him back in the tank before he died. He is now back to himself, swimming around, just like his normal self but now his fins are all torn.

I was just wondering if Bettafix or what could help him regrow those fins.
Heres a picture of the damage.
Wed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 07:12 PM   #2 
SweetnSpicy

What size tank do you have? You have a tank hood, right?

I use melafix, a little salt, and warm water (80-82 f) to heal most of my fish's fin issues, like tail biting, torn fins, fin rot, ect. But, this is just me. Make sure you keep his water sparkling clean, like cleaner than he is in now, it usually helps me out a bit. And, if you have some Indian Almond Leaves or blackwater extract, use that, too.

I hope he heals up soon!
SweetnSpicy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 07:27 PM   #3 
CodeRed

Just be aware that bettafix and melafix don't cause the fins to reheal, it just stops the wound from getting worse. Salt and clean water is usually the best was to heal up torn fins that aren't caused by fin rot.
CodeRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 07:29 PM   #4 
1fish2fish

Melafix/Bettafix both contain tea tree oil, which is known to clog the labyrinth organs of bettas. Your best bet is like code red said.. aquarium salt, clean water, and heat.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 02:05 PM   #5 
Wed

Thank you all! I'll go out and buy some salt today.

He is in a 5 gallon and yes it has a hood. He was able to jump out of the opening hoods usually have for feeding! I hope he learned his lesson lol
Wed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 06:35 PM   #6 
PinkDiamond

I agree not to use Bettafix or Melafix (which is just a more concentrated form of Bettafix). I've read that it can damage the labyrinth organ, and though everyone doesn't agree on this, I always err on the side of caution.

Personally, I don't even use salt when a fish is healing a wound. Unless there are signs of infection, I just keep the water crystal clean and absolutely free of ammonia/nitrites/nitrates (as always) and feed them a good quality diet (I only feed frozen foods, a variety of 6 different ones). This has been the best recipe for healing in my fish.

As bettas are freshwater fish, I don't use salt unless treating ich. (which I've never had to do). From what I've read, salt will function as a mild antiseptic at best, and at worst can cause osmotic stress in fish that come from 0 salt environments (like bettas) and overuse of salt in home aquariums has already produced salt-resistant strains of ich.
PinkDiamond is offline   Reply With Quote