Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-12-2010, 05:32 AM   #1 
a123andpoof

Tanks questions not serious but would like help very soon!

I am getting a betta in a couple days hopefully, but would like to get the tank today so I can pepare it and such.
I would like to just get a small tank 2.5g I think is what it is or maybe it was 1.5g but anyways it definatly needs to be heated, but I am afraid it will get to cold at night. It will go in room and it can get to be in lowish 60s and I am not sure the heater I will get to go with the tank will keep it the proper temprature. So I was thinking maybe a 5g with a better heater? will that work okay or will the tetra whisperer in a the smaller tank be okay? And if I do have to go with the 5g I know I will need to cycle. How long does that take? And can I cycle with the betta in it? or is that not a good idea?

I just thought of some of these questions...
thanks in advance!
a123andpoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 06:10 AM   #2 
Min

I have an eclipse 3 & a 25 watt heater & it keeps my water temp consistent though out the day & night.

http://www.bigalsonline.com/StoreCat...ts=12&offset=0

As for cycling cant tell you how long it takes. Ive been trying to cycle mine (fish in) for at least a month now & only 1 so far looks to be close to complete. I am far from an expert on cycling I'm sure someone else can get into more detail. I went out & got the API freshwater master kit. I test my water every day for Ammonia, Nitrite & Nitrate. If my Ammonia is above 1.0 I usually will do 40-50 change under 1.0 I just do 30% change. Basically you do this until you see no Ammonia & no Nitrites & Nitrates 5-20PPM. You will see spikes in all of these esp Ammonia & Nitrites. Just keep up with the water changes. IMO the most import on a fish in cycle is keeping the Ammonia levels safe enough not to kill our lil guys during the process. Unfortunately you just have to be patient. I had figure eh they are only 3 & 6 gallon tanks how long could it take. Well like I said I'm at least a month in.

I know it sounds like a lot of work but in the end it will be worth it. Less water changes & a safer environment for our fishies.

Hope that helps I am cycling newbie too. There are more qualified people on here that could offer more info

Min

Last edited by Min; 04-12-2010 at 06:12 AM.
Min is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 06:31 AM   #3 
a123andpoof

Okay, thanks. I still can't decide what tank to get. Before I decided to get a betta I was just going to get some tetras and a 10g tank so I guess I might as well just get a 5g if I can afford it so far I have a $60 limit. I will be getting more money soon though. But just need a few things to get me started...
Old 04-12-2010, 06:41 AM   #4 
Min

I have one of these

http://www.petco.com/product/2398/Ma...t=FishFC_Tanks

It comes with pretty much everything you need for a betta except for the heater & decor of course. It has the filter & hood/light. I love it. The only thing I dont like is I have to lift the hood to feed them because theres no door. I got over that though :)
Min is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 08:10 AM   #5 
a123andpoof

I hear walmart has a similar kit, so I am going to look there.
Old 04-12-2010, 04:50 PM   #6 
javi

Yes Wal-mart has a 5 gallon glass tank kit for $29. That is where i got mine.
javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 06:47 PM   #7 
a123andpoof

Well I found a 10g on craigs list, really hoping to get that. For the filters can you put the sponges in any or do you need a certain filter?