Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-07-2010, 09:30 PM   #21 
mysquishy

It seems like a lot of time there are a lot of sick fish at walmart. :(
mysquishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 10:12 PM   #22 
gogolg87

Yeah i let kingpin stay in his bowl adjusting for 24 hours and swapping a little water from the tank into his bowl until i finally dropped him in and he stayed there just fine for about two days. But sense I hate having an empty tank I decided to get a goal. I bought this new little guy named Nikki Sixx...as motley crue is my favorite band i wanted to get my own motley group of bettas. so atleast three more are coming in the future. i changed the tank up a little bit and removed the filter as it may be disturbing the water too much and am just deciding to change the water daily. I cleaned everything out and treated the water and am just leaving him in his bowl in the tank right now getting him adjusted. and yes i have pictures just like always I also am putting in another pic of crosby he hides so much lol it was hard to get pics so only one more of him for now..hes so sneaky ninja. but here are pics of Nikki:

Name:  IMGA0240.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  16.5 KB

Name:  IMGA0241.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  13.3 KB

Name:  IMGA0242.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  17.4 KB

Name:  IMGA0243.jpg
Size:  18.4 KB

Name:  IMGA0247.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  16.9 KB

Name:  IMGA0248.jpg
Size:  17.8 KB
gogolg87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 11:32 PM   #23 
xxabc

Sorry for your losses...

However, you're not mentioning any use of water conditioner? You are de-chlorinating your water, correct? And it's very possible they could have died from stress of temperature change (as they were already stressed to begin with, being in Walmart and all...)

I don't think SBD kills. I know Dramaqueen has a betta who has SBD for quite some time, 7 months I believe. He's still up 'n running.
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 11:39 PM   #24 
dramaqueen
Banned

No, swimbladder disorder doesn't kill. The fish isn't in any pain from it.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 01:45 PM   #25 
gogolg87

yes i use a tetra brand treatment for the water with every water change above 50% and for my larger tank i use it for changes 25%or more. thanks for telling me that the SBD doesnt kill them or hurt them but im just wondering if it could have been a downfall because he wasnt strong enough to swim out of the filter which i know have taken out and will not be using..it was a cheap little thing anyway..lol
gogolg87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 06:21 PM   #26 
CodeRed

Ive heard that while SBD itself doesn't kill, the betta could drown from not being able to reach the surface. I've had one betta die from SBD, or something like it, so I'm not sure who to believe.
And bettas are addictive, as you are surely learning :P You can TRY to keep it at just four for the band, but eventually it'll creep, creep, creep up there :P
CodeRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 10:56 PM   #27 
xxabc

CodeRed, if a betta has SBD and sank to the bottom and couldn't get up, SBD wouldn't be the direct killer. It would only help the cause... it wasn't like SBD actually killing him from the inside. The side effect was not being able to swim up and grab air, and then, sadly drowned. But that completely slipped my mind.
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kingpin